Matthew 7:6

[BIBLEDRB]Matthew 7:6[/BIBLEDRB]

I always wondered what did Jesus mean by this. First, I thought it may have something to do with Proverbs 9:7-8; 23:9

[BIBLEDRB]Proverbs 9:7-8[/BIBLEDRB]
[BIBLEDRB]Proverbs 23:9[/BIBLEDRB]

I believe that an example of the above passages from Proverbs can be found in Acts of the apostles:

[BIBLEDRB]Acts 13:45-46[/BIBLEDRB]

Here the apostles talked but the Jews, being the fools, “trampled the pearls under their feet”.

But there are other questions I want to ask.

How can we know who is a “swine”, “dog” or “fool”? How can we know who are fools?

Should we rebuke him, even knowing that he is a fool?

What is the meaning of this passage, according to you?

When we “detect” a fool, what should I do? Stop telling Him about Christ? Stop talking to him? Ignore Him?

What is does “holy” and “pearl” represent in Matthew 7:6?

What is the meaning of this passage? I know that the answers may be somehow subjective, but I still want to hear your opinions.

well, just my opinion…
there are people we all know out there who will take anything you say and twist it, who will take any opinion you give and use it against you (unless you agree with them, and sometimes even then!)

There are people who are upset or hostile about some subjects. (this is not the same as the first person, but it can look the same if you get slashed)

simply put? no matter how wonderful your pearls of wisdom, or whatever… no one said you have to “throw pearls before swine”

you may, of course… wait and see if there is any eveidence that they have mended their ways and try again, but seriously… some people just will turn on you for any excuse.

Well, I think this could be applied 2 ways. First and formost I would exhort anyone to avoid attempting to judge the character of an individual. This is not something for us to do, only God knows what is in someone’s heart. So I would not take this as a directive to try and judge the character of the individual, then make the determaination. Rather,

Firstly take it as an oppertunity to examin your own character, particularly when you’re about to receive something very holy. I realize your a protestant (right?), so I’m not sure what your theology is here. But particularly for us Catholics, we must do this examination before receiving the Eucharist, the holy of holies (replaces the arch of the covenant).

Secondly, with regard to a holy object which ought to be protected, treated with respect (for our purposes, we can say the bible), then don’t hand it out to someone in a situation where you do know for a fact that they’re going to destroy it.

One example of this is a poster not long ago posting about the Salvation Army trying to hand out free bibles to people near a high school. People started taking bibles, throwing them up in the air, kicking them before they hit the ground and all sorts of other abuses. In this situation, once this behaviour started it would certainly have been prudent of the people there (and I hope they did), to stop handing out bibles at that particular location.

I want to commend you for you ferver in bible study. I want to urge you to continue in your study, and mention how you are accurately studying the bible following the rules the bible has set out.

Namely to compare scripture to scripture. If a man is ever to find harmony, he must obey the doctrine God lays out in His word. And so you are obeying the Word by comparing scripture to scripture as this is the only way to understand.

The next method which you should incorporate into you study, is to recognize that everything is a parable. which is earthly story with spiritual meaning. We have discerned that the whole bible is spiritual, and and the stories contained within are all earthly, which is a parable. The earthly stories that literally happened, teaching spiritual truth which is not always easy to discern. But continue on, pray for wisdom.

Compare Scripture to Scripture.
Is 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept, line upon line, line upon line, here a little, there a little.
Is 28:13 But the word of the Lord was to them, “Precept upon precept, precept upon precept, line upon line, line upon line, here a little there a little,” That they might go and fall backward, and be broken and snared and caught.
1 Cor 2:13 These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches, but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

The Word is given as parables.
Ps 78:2 I will open my mouth in a parable; I will utter dark sayings of old.
Matt 13:34 All these things Jesus spoke to the multitude in parables; and without a parable He did not speak to them,
Matt 13:35 that is might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying: “I will open My mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.”
Mark 5:33 And with many such parables He spoke the word to them as they were able to hear it.
Mark 5:34 But without a parable He did not speak to them. And when they were alone, He explained all things to His disciples.

Remember the WORD is spoken in parables, And Christ is the word made flesh, *Jon 1:14 Jesus is the author of the whole bible, as He is the word, and the Word is the scripture, and the Word became flesh as a man. The whole bible is authored by Jesus, not just the four gospels, not just the text in red. Every jot, every tittle is from the mouth of God, from the Word, which is Christ Jesus. Thusly we can discern that the whole bible, every book contained within it, is in the form of parables. Most people don’t recognize this and so they will never ever ever ever come to spiritual truth. It is IMPOSSIBLE, to come to spiritual truth, to discern understanding, if you don’t compare scripture to scripture, and recognize that every verse is parable.

Though every vese may not have the prose of metephorical language, neverthe less, everything has spiritual meaning, even the talking donkey in Numbers, even Moses, even David, even Solomon, even the Cross, everything has a spiritual meaning, and eventually you recongize this and so you can tie together the doctrine eventually as you learn and grow in grace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.