Matthew Chapter 13 - "The House" representing the Catholic Church

Hello Everyone,

I’ve been listening to the “Franciscan Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother” mp3 bible study which someone posted here and all I got to say is that the mp3 are very helpful, a lot of commentary on each verse of the gospels.

I was listening to Matthew Chapter 13 and the Sisters explain how Peter’s home (where Jesus lives) represent the church. Jesus goes out of “the house” (St. Peter’s house) to preach to the people. Jesus then goes into the house and explains the parables to his disciples, meaning that inside the home (or the church) you can get the correct interpretation of Jesus words.

From the New American Bible: The Parable of the Sower.

1* On that day, Jesus went out of the house and sat down by the sea.a 2Such large crowds gathered around him that he got into a boat and sat down, and the whole crowd stood along the shore. 3* And he spoke to them at length in parables.

36Then, dismissing the crowds,* he went into the house. His disciples approached him and said, “Explain to us the parable of the weeds in the field.”

franciscansisters.net/index_files/stmatthewstudy.htm

:blush:

:blush: ???

Nelka, what do you mean by the flushing face? Is this interpretation wrong? Please help me out, dont just put a smiley or an ambarrassed face. I’m catholic but just recently began reading the bible and I want to make sureI have the correct catholic interpretation. Anybody else???

I had never heard this particular view on Matthew 13:1 so I consulted a few of my Bibles and commentaries. None of them discussed the symbolism of Peter’s house. It might be good for you to know that the Church, in her authority, has only defined about 12 passages in the Bible. Other than that, we are free to make all the interpretations we want as long as they are in line with Church teachings. This particular interpretation is an interesting thought and certainly there could be a hidden symbolism here. Personally, the part of the interpretation that I don’t really care for is that it says Jesus went out of the house to preach. If the house is the Church, that doesn’t quite fit, because Jesus never leaves the Church. Certainly His preaching has gone forth into the world, but He is always present in the Church. But I’m probably nit-picking on that. I do like the notion that we get the correct interpretation of Jesus’ words “in the house”.

The most important thing to remember in Scriptural interpretation is to compare them with the teaching of the Church.

Yes. Houses are often used to represent the Church, or more specifically, the old regime of the Old Testament temple priests and the new regime of the New Testament Church.

but finding no way to bring him in, because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and let him down with his bed through the tiles into the midst before Jesus. (Luke 5:19)

Jesus is in the house. They go in to find Jesus in the house. It is a common theme in the Bible.

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.