Matthew Jonah and Peter

Is there an in depth comparison done on Jonah and Peter?

12:39 He answered, "A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.

16:17 Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven.

I was thinking about this and was cross referencing verse, course that became taxing so I gave it a rest and did a search. Not much on this, but I did find this just to give an idea…

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.goodnewsinc.net%2Fv1gn%2Fjonavsmn.html&ei=0b9tVJb9L9CTyQS7loDAAw&usg=AFQjCNH2f8hb87ARsHqqcVSCerNp0Y9mpQ

There has to be more research on this?

Not wise to use a site that clearly teaches heresy to do your research, as for the Jonah and Peter question; The quote that Jesus refers to, is that Jonah the Prophet was swallowed by a sea creature and remained in it’s belly for 3 days after which he came out alive. That was a sign given to the people in Jonah’s time to prove to them that Jonah was indeed a Prophet of GOD.

Contrast that image as a precursor to our Lord’s own experience. He would die on the cross, be committed to a tomb and come back to life (the resurrection) on the third day.

This is OUR sign, a sign that assures us of the true nature of Jesus, who HE IS.

There are many interesting points made in this old thread:
from CAF - Simon, Bar-Jonah?

Thanks, that is a help. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.