Maundy/Holy Thursday question, URGENT! Thanks

I need to know the following as soon as possible:

At the Mass on Maundy/Holy Thursday, does the altar server ring the bell only at the Gloria, or at the consecration as well?

Or does the above occur on the Easter Vigil instead?

Or better yet, starting with Thursday, when is the bell rung, at which point during the Mass?

Thanks for your help:) God bless, have a Blessed Resurection/Easter Sunday.

This is urgent such that you have to type in caps? Just follow the directions of the pastor if you are an altar server, but at my Anglican Use parish, the altar server uses a wood block at the consecration.

It appears you don’t ring the bells at the consecration.

"After the Gloria in Excelsis Deo at the Mass of the Lord’s Supper all church bells are silenced and the organ is not used. "

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paschal_Triduum

Elsewhere I found

The Eucharist is carried in procession to another place where it is kept overnight, to be distributed during the commemoration of the Lord’s Passion on Good Friday. After the procession, the altar is stripped bare, and all bells in the church are silent until the Gloria at the Easter Vigil on Holy Saturday.

catholicism.about.com/od/holydaysandholidays/p/Holy_Thursday.htm

(Continued)

The bells are most assuredly rung at the consecration at the Easter Vigil-it is the great feast which celebrates our Lord’s resurrection–and is a foreshadowing of our own.

In my parish, we follow the General Instruction in that the outdoor bells are pealed at the Gloria on Holy Thursday, and are then switched off completely, including the clock bells. The music becomes a capella and the organ is silent. At the Consecration, a wooden clapper is struck three times at each elevation to represent the hammering of nails at the crucifixion.

Throughout the Triduum, the bells remain silent until Holy Saturday, when they are pealed at the Gloria and the organ is played again.

During both Glorias the altar bells are also rung, but not again until the Consecration on Holy Saturday.

Intersting bit about the wooden clapper as it could have originated from an European tradition. In some countries (Austria, I think), when the bells are rung at the Gloria during the Holy Thursday mass (it is said that Lent liturgicaly ends when the bells are rung at the Gloria), the bells are said to have gone to Rome (because they fall silent again until the Easter Vigil) to be replaced by children walking around with wooden rattles and given money for it (probably to keep them quiet ;)).

Ringing the bell during the consecration is not so much liturgical but more a practical point to alert you when you can get up from your kneeling - most people have their head bowed at this time. Ditto after the Lamb of God, to tell you when the priest have finish consuming the elements and it is now your turn to do so (again, many people would be having their head bowed when kneeling).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.