May 15: Day of Prayer for Vocations

Read more here

I pray everyday that we see a rise in all vocations- priests and religious brothers & sisters, and for all who have dedicated their lives to the service of God and His people.
I pray especially hard for all our parish priests who seem to be caught in the middle of a lot of bickering and it got me to thinking.

After reading a lot of threads on this forum asking *My priest did this…, is it an abuse? My priest said this once, I think, is he a heretic? I don’t like how Father does this, should I report him to the Bishop? * I can’t help but to wonder why any man would even consider a vocation to the priesthood? I can’t think of any other “job” where someone is second-guessed more, and held to super human standards than the priesthood. Why would anyone want to subject themselves to that? :shrug:

Now, I do say this with some sarcasm, I know that the rewards surely outweigh all of the hassles for all of the priests that I know. But I also know that a good many of them are beaten down and discouraged by the level of animosity, rudeness and presumption of some of the faithful.:frowning:

I would love to hear thoughts from those who live the life (priests & all religious), as well as those who are discerning and everyone else.

And let’s remember to say a prayer for all who have answered the call and those who are discerning this coming Sunday. And let’s also remember that they are all sinful human beings, just like the rest of us! :wink:

Those “My priest did this…, is it an abuse? My priest said this once, I think, is he a heretic? I don’t like how Father does this, should I report him to the Bishop?” could be very serious abuses and harm the faithful. Serious.

It’s like a pilot has to monitor all sorts of things before, during and after a flight. Accoridng the most plane crash reports (including the ones from National Geographic), most tragedies came from small defects. Never mind the liturgy abuses, some priests may even teach heresies.

So no those are not “rudeness and presumption of some of the faithful”.

I see the urge to protect the church from these abuses and heresies as a drive the priesthood actually, if you know what I mean. The Priest has recieved a portion of the Bishop’s jobs, which is to be persona christi, saying Masses, listening confessions and preach, so it is only natural that he would get picked on if people find something that could harm the faith.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.