May a Catholic have Orthodox Christian Icons?

Questions in title. Thanks!

Why not? 12345

1 Like

Yes.
In fact, my St. Basil Icon is from the Eastern Orthodox.

1 Like

Most are fine when depicting our commonly venerated saints.

You can run into some problems with saints we don’t share, either because their veneration is tied to anti-Catholic actions or, in some cases, the icon has explicitly anti-Catholic text in it. But since Catholics don’t venerate them anyway, they’re usually not seeking out icons of them.

3 Likes

You can, but if you’re going to adopt something from the Orthodox tradition, I’d suggest observing the Orthodox guidelines about it:

• Old icons can’t be thrown in the trash; to dispose of them it’s proper to bury or burn them.
  • Icons generally are placed on the East-facing wall of the house in a respectable place (e.g. not above the trash can)
  • I’d avoid any images from this site; they are actually a group trying to mix Hinduism with Eastern Christianity. Better icon sites would be here and here.

I’ve never seen one of those - just curious, what did you have in mind?

3 Likes

Oh Heavens yes, avoid that site at all costs - it has come up many times. A question, is it permissible to have icons engraved on tombs? We had various opinions about that and even my wife who is Orthodox was not sure, there is a plaque on my mother’s tomb with part of the Akathist to the Theotokos inscribed on it, she had particular devotion to the Virgin in real life and though she was Catholic I believe she would have appreciated the sentiments and it is used by Catholics as well as the Orthodox.

2 Likes

Just curious - do you mean the tombstone?

The first would apply to all sacramentals as per Catholic canon law.
Regarding the second…do you consider it problematic if icons are not on an East-facing wall? It may not always be practical.

I’ll send you a PM to illustrate what I mean…

1 Like

In this case, I’d say, “Do the best you can”; you’re right that it may not always be practical.

Hmm…I just confirmed with the compass that my icons ARE facing East…and it wasn’t a conscious decision. The Holy Spirit at work perhaps…

4 Likes

Why must the icons face east?

You can put icons on any wall of the house, but east is at least preferred for the icon corner because it’s the direction from which Christ will return. So when we pray at the icon corner, we stand and face east because we are waiting for Him.

2 Likes

For instance, some Mark of Ephesus icons have him holding a scroll saying the Western teachers (of the Filioque) are corrupt or the writings of the Western Fathers enunciating this doctrine are corrupted and unacceptable. I don’t know Greek, but the translations I’ve seen can give either impression, but either way, it’s not something appropriate for a Catholic to be directly venerating.

2 Likes

I’m curious to know what you think of the many Eastern Catholics who venerate saints such as Mark of Ephesus, Photios, Alexis Toth and others?

ZP

2 Likes

Veneration of Alexis Toth is a bit… odd. The man left eastern catholicism to join the orthodox. Going into schism can never be a saintly attribute.

2 Likes

Eastern Catholics I know see Saint Alexis Toth as one who stood up to the Tradition of the East but I can sympathize with the Roman Catholic perspective.

ZP

I’m Ukrainian Greek Catholic and asked my Russian Orthodox cousin to make 2 icons as a wedding gift for my brother (Our Lady of Kazan & Christ the Teacher), which she did.

The tombstone for my parents (both deceased) and I (it was for the 3 of us) has a Byzantine cross :orthodox_cross: on it. My sister and BIL have their own plans and I’m sure my brother has his own arrangements.

Yes! I’ve seen that whenever I attend Mass on Church. For example the Mother of Perpetual Help. The Salus Populi Romani is an Orthodox Icon though and Catholic Orthodox has an influence with that. Just love seeing them!

3 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.