May a priest practice self-intinction?

Recently I saw a priest celebrate mass, and when it came time for him to receive communion, instead of separately receiving under both species he dipped the Host in the Chalice. I know self-intinction isn’t typically allowed amongst the laity, but does this apply to the priest as well?

On a related note, I also have noticed that my regular priest (not the same as the aforementioned) has recently stopped receiving from the Chalice altogether, and only consumes the Host. What’s the verdict on that?

Thanks much!

Yes and no.

Yes, concelebrating priests may receive by intinction but the main celebrant may not. As the GIRM states:

1. If the concelebrants’ Communion is by intinction, the principal celebrant partakes of the Body and Blood of the Lord in the usual way, but making sure that enough of the precious Blood remains in the chalice for the Communion of the concelebrants. Then the Deacon, or one of the concelebrants, arranges the chalice together with the paten containing particles of the host, if appropriate, either in the center of the altar or at the side on another corporal.
    The concelebrants approach the altar one by one, genuflect, and take a particle, intinct it partly into the chalice, and, holding a purificator under their mouth, consume the intincted particle. They then return to their places as at the beginning of Mass.

Note that the GIRM says the main celebrant receives communion “in the usual way.” The usual way is for the main celebrant to say the prescribed prayer before consuming the host and then say the prescribed prayer and drink from the chalice (GIRM #158).

As to your second question, yes, a priest who is either the main celebrant or a concelebrant must receive both the host and from the chalice.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.