May an MC wear a Fascia

Ave Maria!
Is it permissible for a non-cleric to make use the Fascia ( Sash on cassock) when serving at the Altar? I have only ever seen a non cleric wear it once, so I am not sure if it is allowed or not.

[quote="Penance94, post:1, topic:243264"]
Ave Maria!
Is it permissible for a non-cleric to make use the Fascia ( Sash on cassock) when serving at the Altar? I have only ever seen a non cleric wear it once, so I am not sure if it is allowed or not.

[/quote]

The traditional answer, I believe, would be no. Nainfa, in Costumes of Prelates of the Catholic Church (1909) at 57-60 states:
The cincture, belt, or sash (called fascia in Ceremonials and other Latin document), is for the Clergy a sign of jurisdiction, and for Prelates a mark of their dignity. . . .

Irremovable parish priests, as a sign of ordinary jurisdiction, and Rectors of Seminaries as a sign of authority, are privileged to wear a black cincture of plain silk with fringes at the bottom. . . .

Altar boys who, in liturgical functions, are permitted to perform the duties of clerics must wear the cassock and surplice; but the Sacred Congregation of Rites forbids them to wear a cincture.

What do they mean by "irremoveable?" In my diocese, no pastor has stayed in the same parish for more than a few years.

Ave Maria!

[/quote]

May theMC wear a fascia? No. I'm not ordained. :D

[quote="Cavaille-Coll, post:3, topic:243264"]
What do they mean by "irremoveable?" In my diocese, no pastor has stayed in the same parish for more than a few years.

[/quote]

The book is from 1909, so I'm not sure. It apparently meant something, though; here's a clip from the title page of a book from 1895:

http://books.google.com/books?id=FsMzAQAAIAAJ&pg=PP6&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U0KJIKw59GQEMeAXYovtCKrUT5WQA&ci=92%2C568%2C793%2C361&edge=0

[quote="TheMc, post:4, topic:243264"]
May theMC wear a fascia? No. I'm not ordained. :D

[/quote]

From what (little) I can tell, Nainfa notwithstanding, it has also been allowed to seminarians, at least in some cases. Still, it would never be appropriate for a non-seminarian layman, and, I think, not even for such a seminarian while serving Mass.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IezmDvqVh2E/S8-C1cd7kcI/AAAAAAAACEQ/dmwOKjCt5Ys/s1600/GroupofYoungClergymen.jpg

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/files/2011/03/Screen-shot-2011-03-25-at-14.35.15.png

[quote="MarkThompson, post:6, topic:243264"]
From what (little) I can tell, Nainfa notwithstanding, it has also been allowed to seminarians, at least in some cases. Still, it would never be appropriate for a non-seminarian layman, and, I think, not even for such a seminarian while serving Mass.

[images removed for space reasons]

[/quote]

Yes, seminarians can wear them, but around here, they also wear them when serving Mass. :shrug:

[quote="MarkThompson, post:6, topic:243264"]

[/quote]

I have never seen a seminarian from my diocese serve without wearing one.
The one MC who I have seen wear it WAS a Seminarian, a long time ago. But I fail to see how that could allow him to wear it, since being a seminarian leaves no indelible mark on the soul!

[quote="Cavaille-Coll, post:3, topic:243264"]

[/quote]

The Catholic Encyclopedia

The distinction on removability and irremovability was abolished in canon law following the call of Christus Dominus (n. 31) and the current Code says that a pastor must be appointed for an indefinite period but if permitted by the conference of bishops, he may be appointed for a specific period of time.

[quote="TheMc, post:7, topic:243264"]
Yes, seminarians can wear them, but around here, they also wear them when serving Mass. :shrug:

[/quote]

It really depends since Nainfa gives one practice (perhaps one could say it was more correct) which was commonly followed in Anglophone countries and put the fascia as a jurisdictional garment. In many Francophone countries, on the other hand, it was a well established custom for priests and seminarians to always wear the fascia with the cassock.

Guys, I am a roman Catholic Seminarian and The Reason it is not allowed for laymen to wear Fascias is because it is a symbol of our promise of Chaste Celibacy. Seminarian do not have to take that promise until ordination, However, we are not to have girlfriends either. So we start our promise of Chaste Celibacy and the entrance to the Seminary. I hope this helps
In Christ Through Mary,
Cody

Oh my! …I am having a difficult time gauging the ages of the young men in the first pic! :wink:

Ave Maria!

[/quote]

I do every week as a sever but I have a cassock over it. No prohibition.

[quote="centerlinebrat, post:11, topic:243264"]
Guys, I am a roman Catholic Seminarian and The Reason it is not allowed for laymen to wear Fascias is because it is a symbol of our promise of Chaste Celibacy. Seminarian do not have to take that promise until ordination, However, we are not to have girlfriends either. So we start our promise of Chaste Celibacy and the entrance to the Seminary. I hope this helps
In Christ Through Mary,
Cody

[/quote]

The fascia is also known as a "band cincture." While that symbolism is true of all cinctures they are worn by altar servers throughout the world.

[quote="ElToro, post:14, topic:243264"]
The fascia is also known as a "band cincture." While that symbolism is true of all cinctures they are worn by altar servers throughout the world.

[/quote]

But the fascia is still a clerical vestment.

[quote="ElToro, post:13, topic:243264"]

[/quote]

Why would you wear a cassock OVER a fascia?

[quote="ElToro, post:13, topic:243264"]

[/quote]

Cassock over it? That makes no sense. I think you mean surplice. If you are not a seminarian or priest, you shouldn't be wearing it. Is this common practice at your parish? I have never seen a lay server (even adult) wear a sah with their cassock.

[quote="Spirithound, post:12, topic:243264"]
Oh my! ....I am having a difficult time gauging the ages of the young men in the first pic! ;)

[/quote]

I'm thinking they are from a high school seminary and about 12-15 years old. The colored fascia is probably disticntive to their school and so may have also served as a kind of "uniform" to distinguish boys from different schools.

Or maybe they are just really baby-faced 20 yos! :D

My apologies. I wear a SURPLICE over a cassock with a band cincture.

[quote="ElToro, post:19, topic:243264"]
My apologies. I wear a SURPLICE over a cassock with a band cincture.

[/quote]

Do you have permission to wear the fascia? I don't think that is normally allowed, unless you are a priest, seminarian, or possibly an acolyte.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.