May Catholics Endorse Universalism?

It doesn’t necessarily mean anything goes. One could still do good deeds and avoid evil out of love for God, rather than fear of hell, which is a way better motive anyway.

1 Like

I agree wholeheartedly.

The man believed people in his out-group were less than human, and you are saying that he was only possibly ignorant.

I’ll leave it at that.

Possible vincible ignorance. As posted: “there may have been fault in that ignorance” which means culpability. Without considering culpability there is no bearing on salvation.

Culpability for the ignorance, yes. That implies a “duty to know” of which the person is aware and which he has violated. But what about the sin whose gravity one is ignorant of?

The culpability due to crass ignorance depends on the gravity of the matter at stake. For example, a person can reflect before sin “I guess that fornication is not a grave sin” yet can easily find out.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.