May Convert...but...A few questions first (Part 2) The Divinity of Mary?

Okay, here’s my deal. I want to convert to Catholicism, because I’m tired of attending Protestant churches week after week to only experience 3/4 of the sermon is music. I barely learn anything and it appears to be consistent. It is as though at this point no one goes to learn, rather to listen and have a great social hour. I gave up on my youth group, considering it only lead to who was dating who and why young Johnny broke up with young Susie.

Therefore, I would prefer to leave somewhere truly feeling as though I had just worshipped. It probably shouldn’t, but the visual appeal of the building of a typical Catholic church also fuels desire to convert. When I went to one for a funeral once, I literally felt as though I entered the house of God. The formality, tradition, sincerity, and ancient practices really got me interested in Catholicism.

Alright, now that you understand why I’m interested, I have a few problems.

1. Divinity of Mary - Only God is capable of being perfect

Please understand that I’m not challenging you. I want these issues clarified. I want them to work. To be a part of the original church, the very church that Jesus himself commanded to be built is very comforting. I want to be a member of the church that can trace back to the very first followers of Jesus Christ. That is just so amazing to me. Just sit and think about it. All of you are already members of the very first church dating back 2,000 years ago. Please clear these issues up so I can be too.

Would I be accepted?

I think you’ll be pleased to discover that this is a misunderstanding of Catholic teaching.

The Church has not ever, does not now, and will not ever, teach that the Blessed Virgin Mary is divine and anyone who tells you this is not telling you the truth.

I can recommend a VERY good Catholic course that is free of charge from the Catholic Home Study Service entitled CHRIST’S MOTHER AND OURS. It was very helpful to me as I first began to study as I sought the truth about Catholic teaching.
http://www.amm.org/chss/images/chss9.gif

This course explains what the Bible says about Mary, what the Church teaches, Mary’s apparitions, how Mary relates to us in our daily lives, prayer and liturgy relating to Mary, the meaning of the Rosary, Marian sacramentals, and more. It will help you understand Catholic devotion to Mary and explain it to others.

You are probably a long way from being ready to convert to Catholicism, given the question you asked about Mary. You must know very little about what the Catholic Church believes and teaches if you think we believe Mary is divine. If you have faulty information on this, there are probably many other Catholic beliefs you misunderstand as well. Maybe that is because Catholic beliefs are often misreprented by non-Catholics. It would probably be a good idea, since you are curious about Catholicism, to get some reliable information on the Catholic faith. While the reasons you give for being attracted to the Church are valid, there are also much more to this. The only reason you should belong to any religion is that you belief its precepts or beliefs are true. You can not decide this until you know what they are. By all means learn about Mary, but also there is more to learn about Catholicsm. If after you investigate the beliefs of the Church you find that you accept them, then make your decision. Catholic Answers, the group that sponsors this forum has a little very inexpensive booklet called Pilar of Fire. That might be a good place to start looking at the claims of Catholicism. God bless you.

Hi! :slight_smile:

Mary is sNOT divine because divinity belong to God ONLY.

You are correct, only God is capable of being perfect. In fact no, he is not capable of being perfect. He is perfect by his very nature. Humans are not perfect for we have the stain of the original sin and our nature is fallen. God’s grace however can make us sinless. Mary wasn’t sinless by her own power, she was made sinless by God. She was conceived without the original sin and was “full of grace”. Thus her sinless glorifies God.

Yes, but isn’t Mary the Mother of Forgiveness or something similar to that? She has a role in Catholicism that she doesn’t in Protestantism, I think.

Mary is the Mother of Jesus Christ, in whom we have our forgiveness. That’s what we’re saying when we say “Mother of Forgiveness.” We’re not saying Mary forgives us, but that she gave birth to our Saviour who made it possible for us to be forgiven! Even Protestants agree with that! :thumbsup:

Mary in the Bible

Perhaps you mean the prayer that says “Mother of Mercy, our Life, our Sweetness, and our Hope.”

I should point out that Jesus is Mercy. Jesus is our Life. Jesus is our Sweetness. Jesus is our Hope. Mary is His mother.

Therefore, Mary is “Mother of Mercy, our Life, our Sweetness, and our Hope.”

Does that help?

That makes sense. But, why is Mary such a bigger deal in Catholicism? I obviously love her for giving birth to Jesus, but you just don’t hear much about her in any Protestant sermon.

I can tell you honestly that Mary seemed to be a much “bigger deal” in Catholicism from the outside, than she is once you’re inside. You won’t hear much about her in Catholic homilies, either, except for a few times a year. The Mass is all about Jesus!

Please read the article I linked in my first post of this thread, and see if you can find a copy of Scott Hahn’s Hail, Holy Queen. (My local public library has it, so yours might as well.)

May God Bless You! :slight_smile:

There is so much more in the Word of God than they preach and teach.

Check THIS out!

Matthew 5:48 “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect”

I would suggest that Our Lord would not say this if it were not in fact possible. Of course perfection is only possible with God’s grace, and Mary needed God’s grace as well.

[SIGN]***And she was FULL of that grace! ***[/SIGN]

Amen.

Hello Homerun,

I have a feeling that at the time of this thread you’ve already had your questions answered about Mary’s Immaculate Conception and Divine Maternity.
My fellow catholics on this thread are very knowledgeable and have offered great study resources. I trust that our Blessed Mother will bring you home…to the house of her Son.

Gospa Mir, ora pro nobis sancta Dei gentrix, ut digni efficiamur promisionibus Cristi, Amen.

Actually, you’re wrong here. Divine does not mean perfect. Divine means God. So, yes, only God is capable of being God (omniscient, omnipotent and all that). But God made human beings in a perfect state. He couldn’t have created us already flawed, we had to do that ourselves. Adam and Eve were perfect before the fall. Human can take something perfect and corrupt it, but we can’t take something corrupted and make it perfect. That’s the whole point of Christ’s sacrifice. His redemption and the whole process of Salvation is meant to bring us back to our original perfect state. Only He can do it to us and Mary certainly wasn’t perfect on her own merits. God made her so. And God is slowly, ever so slowly (as much as we will allow him) making each of us perfect as well.

Scott Hahn explains this well.
Mary is Gods greatest creation. He protected her from the stain of orgional sin. He chose Blessed Mary to give birth to his son. God Assumed Blessed Mary into heaven. She was his finest creation.
Now, if you were an artist and a gallery was showing all your work. Would be offended that every one was focused on your greatest worke of art and not on you? No of course not.
Mary knew this too. Lk 1:46 “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior”

Hi Homerun40968 ,
If you haven’t, attend a Catholic Mass in your area. You will find Mary is hardly mentioned at all during the service. Mary tends to be more of a private devotion.
Godspeed on your journey,

Except Dec 8th:thumbsup: :smiley:

Yeah, But we Knights of the Immaculata LOVE that one!

Amen!!!:highprayer:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.