May Convert...but...A few questions first (Part 3) Authority of the Pope

Okay, here’s my deal. I want to convert to Catholicism, because I’m tired of attending Protestant churches week after week to only experience 3/4 of the sermon is music. I barely learn anything and it appears to be consistent. It is as though at this point no one goes to learn, rather to listen and have a great social hour. I gave up on my youth group, considering it only lead to who was dating who and why young Johnny broke up with young Susie.

Therefore, I would prefer to leave somewhere truly feeling as though I had just worshipped. It probably shouldn’t, but the visual appeal of the building of a typical Catholic church also fuels desire to convert. When I went to one for a funeral once, I literally felt as though I entered the house of God. The formality, tradition, sincerity, and ancient practices really got me interested in Catholicism.

Alright, now that you understand why I’m interested, I have a few problems.

1. Authority of the Pope - I’ve heard many theories on this one. But, the one I’ve heard the most is that the Pope’s teaching is as though it is literally coming from the mouth of God. Please elaborate.

Please understand that I’m not challenging you. I want these issues clarified. I want them to work. To be a part of the original church, the very church that Jesus himself commanded to be built is very comforting. I want to be a member of the church that can trace back to the very first followers of Jesus Christ. That is just so amazing to me. Just sit and think about it. All of you are already members of the very first church dating back 2,000 years ago. Please clear these issues up so I can be too.

Would I be accepted?

Hi again!

I think that possibly this MP3 Bible study download will greatly help you with this question.
One Church

The peace of the Lord be always with you.

You forgot about Apostolic Authority and the Pope. :wink: Homerun, if you go to the Bible Christian Society website you will find several downloads that will answer your questions.

When I was Protestant and in the process of converting, I found the Catholic Bridge to be helpful. You would do well to spend some time there, as well as the Catholic Answers Library, of course. :smiley:

Yeah, I did! :doh2:
Apostolic Authority and the Pope

Good thing I’m stalking you this morning, eh? :stuck_out_tongue:

I do think it’s better to listen to “One Church” first, then “Apostolic Authority.” So you did good. :thumbsup:

:eek: :whacky: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.