May Crowning: history, origin, customs, etc?

Anybody have a decent web resource on the May Crowning? The Catholic Encyclopedia on newadvent.org is silent on the issue…

In case you haven’t noticed, since it’s May (Mary’s month), I’m on a bit of a Mary kick :slight_smile:

[quote=RichSpidizzy]The Catholic Encyclopedia on newadvent.org is silent on the issue…
[/quote]

Haven’t you ever heard that old joke that when God has a question, he fires up Google? A quick search revealed this site with this further discussion.

[quote=DavidFilmer]Haven’t you ever heard that old joke that when God has a question, he fires up Google? A quick search revealed this site with this further discussion.
[/quote]

Thank you good sir! That’s pretty much exactly what I was looking for. :thumbsup:

According to these references (unless I missed something), the Marian devotion in May doesn’t go back any further than 18th century Italy. I am surprised!

On a church timeline that’s something like the day before yesterday, not at all an ancient, or even very old practice.

Do you remember singing this at the “May Crownings”?..:crying:

[left]Bring flowers of the rarest, bring flowers of the fairest[/left]
From garden and woodland and hillside and vale;
Our full hearts are swelling, our glad voices telling
The praise of the loveliest Rose of the vale.

Refrain:
:0 Mary, we crown you with blossoms today,
Queen of the Angels, Queen of the May.:

Our voices ascending, in harmony blending,
0, thus may our hearts turn, dear Mother, to you.
0, thus shall we prove you how truly we love you;
How dark without Mary life’s journey would be. (Ref.)
http://www.udayton.edu/mary/meditations/maryqueen.jpg

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.