May Franzia be used for the Eucharist?

Hi, this is my first time posting. I really enjoy alot of what I read here,though I’ve never responded to anything, and I now have a question I hope someone can answer. My husband is concerned with the wine that our church uses to for the Eucharist. To be specific, I believe it is a box wine called “Franzia Chillable Red”. I think my husband said that it says on the box something like it’s wine with other natural ingredients. He has been reading (Ican’t remember what articles or documents) that this could affect the validity of it. I was wondering if this is true. My other question is if this is true, then I’m a little worried that if we mention this that they may not be willing to correct it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Dear T,

The Congregation for the Discipline of the Sacraments and Divine Worship (Inaestimabile Donum #8) states: “ The wine for the Eucharistic celebration must be of the “fruit of the vine” (Luke 22:18) and be natural and genuine, that is to say, not mixed with other substances.”

In his book, “The Sacraments and Their Celebration” Fr. Nicholas Halligan writes: “Wine…to which foreign ingredients (e.g., water) have been added in equal of greater quantities is invalid material….The Holy See has been insistent that the sacramental or Mass wine come from sources beyond suspicion… Wines should be purchased regularly only from reputable vendors of Mass wine or only when otherwise guaranteed to be pure and unadulterated.” This information is from Jimmy Akin’s book, “Mass Confusion” available through catholic.com or 888 291 8000.

Your husband is correct in being suspicious of the wine your parish is using. I would encourage you to check for the percentage of the actual grape wine that is contained in each box. I’m sure that you can get that information from the wine company if it is not on the box. If it is equal or less than the other ingredients, you need to tell your pastor and if he does not respond, then tell your bishop. This is a very important matter because it could affect the validity of the consecration of the wine at all the Masses in your parish.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.