May have been Confirmed while not in a state of grace

Hi all! I was just Confirmed on Palm Sunday, and a couple days later I remembered a mortal sin I committed the day before the Confirmation. I totally forgot about it the day of the Confirmation. Now I’m afraid I may have been Confirmed while not in a state of grace. Yesterday, I went to Confession and confessed this. I was absolved, but I’m still fearful that I may go to Hell for this.
The Catechism states one must be in a state of grace at Confirmation. Do you think this sin is so bad that God won’t forgive me?

If you have confessed it and the priest (in persona Christi) absolved it you really should forget about it.
You know that the priest in the confessional absolve sins becouse they have the keys to heaven, if he does not absolve your sins they are bound on earth as in heaven, but when he gives the absolution your on good terms with God once again.
If you doubt it so badly it may be becouse you find it hard to trust in Gods mercy.
So if you truely trust in the mercy of Christ you would let it go.

Yours in Jesus and Mary

• MarianCatholic

The Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church says about confirmation:

1. Who can receive this sacrament?

1306-1311

Only those already baptized can and should receive this sacrament which can be received only once. To receive Confirmation efficaciously the candidate must be in the state of grace.

So it will have no effect. Father Z. explains it in this blog post:

wdtprs.com/blog/2011/07/quaeritur-confirmed-or-ordained-but-not-in-the-state-of-grace-fr-z-rants/

Quickly, three sacraments confer on the recipient an “indelible mark” which they never lose forever and forever and forever, in hell or in heaven: baptism, confirmation, Holy Orders. Baptism forgives all sins, Original and actual, so you obviously are not in the state of grace when you receive it.

If you are confirmed or ordained and you are not in the state of grace, you are nevertheless confirmed or ordained. The sacrament has really been conferred. You are thereafter a confirmed person or ordained man. However, you may not have the advantages of the graces from that sacrament until you are in the state of grace. The same goes for marriage. Two people can be married validly even if they are aware of un-confessed mortal sins. If they are baptized members of the Church who are free to marry, they have the right understanding and intentions, and the proper form is used before a duly appointed minister of the Church, etc. etc., they are truly marriage even though they may be wicked she might be a wicked ne’er-do-well and he a blaggarding rapscallion.

It is as if the sacrament is dormant in a person until she returns to the state of grace, when it wakes up and starts to function again.

I encourage you to read the rest of the post.

God bless you!

Well you’ve done it now!!! Curtains!!! Another would
be Catholic bites the dust!!!Lol.

Yes you should be in a state of grace on Confirmation
Day. I doubt your action was deliberate.
You were subsequently absolved.
Don’t sin further by assuming the priest doesn’t
know when to absolve you.

Welcome to the Church! And go in peace. :slight_smile:

What concerns me more than forgetting to confess a mortal sin is your mistrust of your absolution, which is a mistrust of the Church and God’s forgiveness, and the ability of the priest to forgive your sins.

Please do not go down the road of scrupulosity and legalism–it will do your spiritual life no good. Trust the Church and your priest. Listen to what he says.

God bless you.

Hi Doxie,

Please try not to worry about this. You went to confession and remembered your sin and confessed it and were absolved of it. Take heart, dear one. Try not to have any anxiety over this.

:hug1:

Rejoice! We are in the Easter season now. :slight_smile:

God Bless You.

The priest is acting in persona Christi. When he absolves you, it is Christ who absolves you. Trust in Christ when He says he absolves you. Why would He lie?:shrug:

Thanks for the responses everyone. As a new Catholic, I obviously still have a lot to learn.

But, the Catechism does state one must be in a state of grace to receive Confirmation. That is why I’m afraid I’m going to go to Hell. But it sounds like Christ forgave that in Confession. Is that correct?

Yes, it is indeed.
The Lord has forgiven you, now please forgive yourself as well.
You won’t go to Hell, you have confessed it and received absolution.
So you can let it go and be at peace.

Yes, that is correct.

I am doing the novena for the Divine Mercy now and I am reading the diary of St. Faustina. In it, St. Faustina tells Jesus about someone she knew who did not fully trust of her absolution even after confessing the sin. Jesus replied that He was more hurt by that person’s lack of trust in His forgiveness than by the commission of the sin itself.

I think I’m focusing too much on the legalism. Like, how the Catechism states one must be in a state of grace while receiving Confirmation. What happens if one isn’t?

Did you go to confession beforehand?
If you did, and you only forgot to mention this special sin because you weren’t aware of it, you are completely forgiven and in a state of grace.

However, one should mention it in the next confession afterwards, what you did.
So, stop worrying!
Everything is all right!

If it makes you feel better, confess this sin during your next confession. Then you will receive absolution for it as well. With the other advice given, this is all the more I can say. :shrug:

Yes, I just went on Friday and confessed the original mortal sin and confessed that I may not have been in a state of grace during my Confirmation. The priest absolved me. I have really bad OCD, so I’m having trouble believing I am forgiven. I am stuck on what the Catechism says, that one must be in a state of grace during Confirmation.

This^^^

I believe what you meant to say was that it will not have the intended effect until the OP returns to the state of grace. Not that it will never have any effect.

Yes thank you. One must be clear when speaking about these things.

Hi everyone! An apologist returned my email in which he referred me to CCC 982.

982 There is no offense, however serious, that the Church cannot forgive. "There is no one, however wicked and guilty, who may not confidently hope for forgiveness, provided his repentance is honest. Christ who died for all men desires that in his Church the gates of forgiveness should always be open to anyone who turns away from sin.

This makes me feel better. And thank you, everyone, for your help!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.