May I attend a protestant bible study?

Hl

Is it sinful or wrong of me to attend a protestant bible study?

Yes, but be sure you know your own faith well so your attendance may bridge over the communications between the two faith. I used to attend a Protestant’s Bible study and also lead the Bible study sometime. That group of friends know well that I am a Catholic and respect my Catholic position. I know some concept I emphasized such as continuing to repent our sins after baptism, taking Mary as our model of obedience and working toward holiness, have made some impact at the time.

So long as you are able to anwer any objections (or promise to bring something the following week) i think it’s an excellent idea and a way of evangelising.

What have Catholics to fear from the Bible?

I would say it’s okay also to attend. Are you familiar with this particular group and its style or the church that hosts it? That may have a lot to do with the tone of the study itself and whether the participants are positive, neutral or against Catholicism. While you may run across a few hot button items depending on the theme or books being studied you might also find that the differences in religious views aren’t as substantial as you think.

ChadS

[quote="paperwight, post:3, topic:182441"]
So long as you are able to anwer any objections (or promise to bring something the following week) i think it's an excellent idea and a way of evangelising.

What have Catholics to fear from the Bible?

[/quote]

I began attending a neighborhood study a few years back and found they were not open to Catholic questioning of some interpretation.

We do not have any thing to fear from the Bible, after all the Church gave the Bible to the world.:shrug::)Carlan , Bless us and let your light shine upon us Lord!

Should be no problem… I attended one over the summer, with a Baptist minister leading the study… I had to challenge him when he said the King James Version was the only true translation…

I had my RSV for Catholics… Made for some interesting discussion.

It’s not OK to attend if you are weak in your faith in any way, either in knowledge or the gift of faith. That would be a serious danger for you and should be avoided.

Betsy

I don't even like to attend a catholic bible study unless a priest is present. Unless you are an apologist it's almost like putting yourself in a "near occasion of sin" and dangerous to your faith as many protestant 'bible' studies' are designed to pull other's into their groups. I doubt it would strengthen your faith.

What everyone has been saying to you is great advice… I just thought I’d give you an example from my life.

I’m a Catholic college student who has attended several bible studies, all led by protestants, but with both protestants and Catholics present. This was an awesome time to challenge each other and deepen in our faith, and I still attend these studies. Initially, I did not notice, but later I realized that I had started buying into some of the protestant theology that can seem Catholic, but truly is not. So, my advice to avoid doing this:

[LIST]
*]Find answers to the questions brought up in studies here on CAF!
*]Bring your own CATHOLIC Bible-these studies may end up using translations that are inadequate or non-literal. I prefer RSV-CE.
*]Participate and talk about what YOU believe–it should be pretty clear that you are Catholic. If they’re studying a passage on salvation, and it mentions works and faith, bring it up.
*]Pray!
[/LIST]

I was a faithful believer who loved reading the Bible and living my life as a Catholic. Only I didn’t know squat how to defend my Catholic faith when I went to high school 30 yrs ago. I wanted to hang with my born-again friends and go to their youth group and their bible studies, and my mother let me. I came home with questions that my mom couldn’t answer. I ended up leaving the Catholic faith for twenty because I didn’t know how to defend it.
I know MANY “former” Catholics who are practicing evangelicals.

I wouldn’t suggest it.

You know, this is the age of information. I did come back to the Church largely because of word searches and asking questions on the internet. Just 20 yrs ago information like this was unattainable.

I never even met a faithful Catholic until 2003, when I was home schooling.

JL: Make sure it is a bible study and not a bible indoctrination. Years ago I went by invitation to a so called bible study of four people. When I disagreed and gave my view from a Catholic point of view I was told by the leader, this is my bible study group you are to listen. Or words to that effect. I didn’t go back after that.

It would be very very good for you to go to a protestant bible study!

Open your world. Learn to listen to the Holy Ghost yourself on what is true.

Some things at the bible study may be indeed false. Somethings may be true. Learn to listen to the Holy Ghost as to which is which. This training in following the Holy Ghost will be so good for you on top of new things that you may learn from the bible study itself.

Attend!

Learn and grow in Christ!!

[quote="fireproofpoodle, post:1, topic:182441"]
Hl

[/quote]

I wouldn't say it's sinful, but I think it might be unwise or even dangerous.

I used to belong to a Protestant Bible study... at that time, I was not yet a Catholic, but on my way to the Church. I found there were a lot of anti Catholic comments that really bothered me. Also, the theology was definitely Protestant.. a lot about OSAS, etc... also sometimes (often?) when Catholics join these groups, the Protestant try to 'convert' them :(

maybe it would be better to find a Catholic Bible study, and if there isn't one in your area, maybe you could consider starting one? :)

that way you would be able to enjoy being there rather than having to explain/ defend your position all the time, and you'd be studying the Bible with people who have similar beliefs...

also it's not a good idea to go into a situation where we might be presented with incorrect theology... it's like a near occasion of sin, unless you REALLY know your faith

God bless

In addition, some of these groups take Communion together, - and as Catholics we of course can’t take part in that.

Hey with protestants it is usually symbolic so relax. With the protestants it is done in remembrance of Jesus. The communion is usually just symbolic of Jesus.

No harm attending that. Make friends. See how other people are human too. Being part of their religious life does not mean giving up your own.

well that’s one of the reasons we can’t receive Protestant Communion… because it’s a symbol, whereas we believe that in the Catholic Church the Eucharist is Jesus.

if I were to receive Communion in a Protestant church, it’s like I’d be declaring that this is what I believe… and this would be a lie

it doesn’t mean we can’t visit Protestant services, for example if we’re invited by friends, but there are certain things like this that we can’t do. Some people say that this goes against unity, but real unity is when everyone has the same faith, not when people of two different churches act like there are no differences :slight_smile: sure there are similarities, but also differences. For example, as a Protestant, would you be comfortable kneeling before the Eucharist in a Catholic church? If you believe Communion is a symbol, then probably not (I’m guessing). in a similar way, Catholics are not comfortable receiving symbolic Communion.

God bless

[quote="Seeker100, post:13, topic:182441"]
It would be very very good for you to go to a protestant bible study!

Open your world. Learn to listen to the Holy Ghost yourself on what is true.

Some things at the bible study may be indeed false. Somethings may be true. Learn to listen to the Holy Ghost as to which is which. This training in following the Holy Ghost will be so good for you on top of new things that you may learn from the bible study itself.

Attend! Learn and grow in Christ!!

[/quote]

JL: It sounds as though one can LEARN to be infallible by going to bible studies, were some things are right, and some wrong. How then could a learned bible study leader be right at times and wrong at times, yet an unlearned person will be able to tell what is not true?

1Jn2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time. 19 THEY WENT OUT FROM US, but they were not of US; for if they had been of US, they would no doubt have continued with US: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of US 20 But YE HAVE AN UNCTION FROM THE HOLY ONE, and YE KNOW ALL THINGS. 21 I HAVE NOT WRITTEN unto you BECAUSE YE KNOW NOT THE TRUTH, but because YE KNOW IT, and that no lie is of the truth. 22 ........... 23............ 24 LET THAT therefore ABIDE IN YOU, WHICH YE HAVE HEARD FROM THE BEGINNING. IF THAT WHICH YE HAVE HEARD FROM THE BEGINNING shall REMAIN IN YOU, YE also SHALL CONTINUE IN THE SON, AND in the FATHER. 25 And this is the promise that he hath promised us, EVEN ETERNAL LIFE. 26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you. 27 But THE ANOINTING which YE HAVE RECEIVED OF HIM ABIDETH IN YOU, and YE NEED NOT that ANY MAN TEACH YOU: but as THE same ANOINTING TEACHETH YOU ALL THINGS, AND IS TRUTH, and is no lie, and even AS IT HATH TAUGHT YOU, YE SHALL ABIDE IN HIM.

THE ANOINTING (UNCTION) YE HAVE RECEIVED OF HIM=that is grace and wisdom from the Holy Spirit, the seven gifts. Who gives the wisdom, to LET THAT ABIDE IN US, WHICH WE HAVE HEARD FROM THE BEGINNING. Note not what we have read and formed our own opinion. In other words the gospel as preached by the SENT Apostolic Fellowship, the Church the pillar and ground of truth. That which we have HEARD from the beginning, if we allow it to abide in our hearts and mind we know the truth and will not be deceived, by those teaching another gospel. The (UNCTION) ANOINTING TEACHETH YOU ALL THINGS. The anointing teaches those of the Household of God to remain faithful to the word (that abideth in them, that which they have RECEIVED FROM THE BEGINNING, as proclaimed in the Church by her lawful ministers who have been SENT. In unity with them we share in the Holy Spirit promised to lead the Church in all truth and have the knowledge necessary not to be deceived and led astray by those who went out from the Church, they are not SENT ministers, but go out on their own authority, teaching another gospel of their own opinion.

What did people do the first time the gospel was preached by Peter? Acts2:41 Then THEY THAT gladly RECEIVED HIS WORD were BAPTIZED: and the same day there WERE ADDED UNTO THEM about three thousand souls. 42 And THEY CONTINUED steadfastly IN the APOSTLES' DOCTRINE and FELLOWSHIP, and in BREAKING OF BREAD, and in PRAYERS. [Those that received his word were baptized. They were brought into the Church by baptism and CONTINUED steadfastly in the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Fellowship.] 1Cor 1:9 God is faithful you were called into THE FELLOWSHIP OF his Son JESUS CHRIST 10 I appeal to you BREATHREN by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ that all of you AGREE that there be no dissensions among you that you BE UNITED in the same mind and THE SAME JUDGMENT. 1Jn 4:6 We are of God Whoever knows God LISTENS TO US and he who is not of God DOES NOT LISTEN TO US BY THIS WE KNOW the spirit of TRUTH and the spirit of ERROR [Therefore we do not listen to men, who go out on there own authority, the spirit of error, to be taken in by false teachers and every wind of doctrine men can devise through sola scriptura, that tower of babel, confusing the one faith langueage scattering people of faith into myriads of groups, by a tradition of men made a doctrine of God around 1521 AD.] Some like hit and miss truth and their own guesses with split on split. I will stay with the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth, 1 TM 3:14.

[Eph3:7 Whereof I was made A MINISTER, ACCORDING TO THE GIFT of the grace of God given unto me BY the effectual working OF HIS POWER. 8 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ; 9 And TO MAKE ALL MEN SEE what is THE FELLOWHIP of THE MYSTERY, which from the beginning of the world hath been HID IN GOD, who created all things by Jesus Christ: 10 To the intent THAT NOW unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places MIGHT BE KNOWN BY THE CHURCH THE MANIFOLD WISDOM OF GOD,]

Paul even checked his teaching with that one fellowship, to be sure he was not teaching another doctrine or gospel. [Gal2:1 Then fourteen years after I WENT UP AGAIN TO JERUSALEM with Barnabas, and took Titus with me also. 2 And I went up BY REVELATION, and COMMUNICATED UNTO THEM that GOSPEL which I PREACH among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, LEST BY ANY MEANS I SHOULD run, or HAD RUN, IN VAIN.]

[quote="fireproofpoodle, post:1, topic:182441"]
Hl

[/quote]

Not sinful but a big mistake.

Well if having communion in a Protestant church bothers you then you should not do it then but you could reason it out that at the Protestant church it is not literal. There was no change and it is just symbolic in the Protestant church as the members there just believe it is symbolic thus it does not change at the Protestant church. Thus you would not lying in taking it if you believed that it is symbolic at the Protestant church.

As to unity, unity in Christ is love, it is not everyone becoming the same denomination or church. Becoming the same denomination or church is worldly unity not spiritual unity. Christ is love so people of any denomination when they love are in union with the Lord and each other. When in Christ, differences are tolerated and in some cases celebrated, as in Christ, Love is first.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.