May I be my child's godmother?

I do not know suitable a godparent for my son’s baptism. May I, his mother, be his godparent? My son has Down Syndrome. This doesn’t change the baptism any, correct?

[quote=muddStuck]I do not know suitable a godparent for my son’s baptism. May I, his mother, be his godparent?
[/quote]

No, according to the Code of Canon Law, you may not be your son’s godparent:

To be admitted to undertake the office of sponsor [for baptism], a person must … not be either the father or the mother of the person to be baptized (canon 874 §1 5°).

I recommend asking your pastor for help in finding a baptismal sponsor. Sometimes priests know of individuals who have expressed a desire to be a godparent should there be a need for one. It is also possible to ask a priest, deacon, or consecrated religious to be the godparent.

[quote=muddStuck]My son has Down Syndrome. This doesn’t change the baptism any, correct?
[/quote]

Correct. As a recommendation, though, you might want to let the minister of the baptism know about any medical condition that may be aggravated by the stress of the ceremony. The minister (either a priest or a deacon) will want to know so as to make the ceremony as unstressful as possible for your child and for you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.