May I have an answer?

You’ve invited me to ask a question. I have, three times. I got no reply, not even an acknowledgment that someone would screen it.

1. I would like to know if my ashes can be spread over open water after I am cremated. Some people are buried at sea.

2. I would like to learn more about my faith. Is there a certain chapter one might start reading in the bible?

Hi Gil,

We get so many questions that we are not able to answer all of them. But it’s a testimony to your determination that you are being answered today. If you ask often enough, you should eventually be answered.

The Church does allow cremation. But the ashes are to be kept on sacred ground, i.e., at a Catholic cemetery where Mass is offered regularly for persons whose remains are interred there.

I would start with the New Testament if I were you. Begin with the Gospels. Let me know if you need more reading suggestions.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.