May I let off steam in California?

catholicvoiceoakland.org/

Prayers and sympathy are needed for the poor orthodox Roman Catholics of the Diocese of Oakland, CA.

First, they have lost their orthodox bishop and have no bishop at the moment. :frowning: I assume that explains the wandering of the flock as expressed below.

Their diocesan paper, The Catholic Voice , featured the “CruZader” on its cover and gave the comic strip a full page of favorable coverage. The “hero” in the strip is Antonio De La Cruz. According to the article, “De La Cruz, known by his code name, The CruZader, also enjoys special status at The Vatican as the Church’s holy hit man.” :frowning: The paper notes proudly that the Catholic author went to local Catholic schools. “Born and raised Catholic, Morales said it was almost instinctive for him to tap into his front-pew perspective in the Church for inspiration as he began to craft his comic creation.”

Two pages later, an article praises the gift of a hard-back Harry Potter novel to each eighth grader at St. Anthony Catholic School in Oakland. Harry Potter is the popular series that ends with a main, sympathetic character arranging for himself to be euthanized. :frowning:

Three pages after that is a half-page article about how Catholic schools will be “celebrating” the inauguration of our first president to be pro-infanticide, anti-marriage and pro-killing-the-ill. :frowning:

A bit dramatic?

I have a copy of that Voice, and I don’t have the same reaction or perception as you do. The Voice is hardly a radical rag. As to “poor” Catholics, compared to some parishes throughout the country, described on CAF as barely having available priests, the SF Bay Area has several well-staffed parishes, and Catholics can select varieties of liturgies to suit their spirituality – from late-Sunday-night candlelight Masses, to a parish with multiple Latin Masses and multiple opportunities for daily confession.

So Elizabeth, you don’t think it’s a problem that Catholic school children are being encouraged to celebrate the most pro-abortion candidate our country has seen, and one who does not consider even the lives of born children to be sacred (as shown by his lone voice in the Illinois senate speaking out against the Born Alive Infant Protection Act)? Or that the diocesan newspaper considers this celebration as a good thing?:confused:

How about that full-page article extolling the comic strip falsely accusing the Vatican of hiring a “hit man”?:blush:

No problem, Elizabeth?:confused:

What is your definition of “scandal”?

Whaaa? :eek: I read that book, and that is simply an unfair distortion of how that character died. :mad:

#1, I think you need to lighten up a bit.

#2, I’m sorry that you have not made peace with the election results and/or believe that it’s helpful and fruitful to demonize politicians you disagree with, and encourage children to do so, also.

#3, The Catholic Voice is hardly a Vatican rag. It’s a local paper of interest to local Catholics. If it upsets you, you can (a) not read it, (b) unsubscribe, © protest to the editors.

#4. Even intense and passionate St. Paul sprinkled his epistles (such as Philippians and Corinthians) with exhortations to concentrate on goodness, virtue, and all that is uplifting, and to be models of joy and praise about others. We are not to dwell in negativity and radiate that negativity to others. From a personal standpoint, the Christian mission is to attract, not to repel.

#5. Scandal comes in many forms, many of those generated by clergy who have been featured in The Voice in the past, but who have engaged in sexual abuse in some cases, in flagrant lack of charity in their parishes in other cases (promotion of calumny, detraction, and more). That upsets me much more than particular schools or classrooms offering an opportunity to participate in a civics lesson.
Scandal also includes the frequent threads and campaigns on CAF which reveal a hatred of both the sinner and the sin, which is strictly forbidden by the teachings of the Church.

THERE ARE BETTER WAYS TO BRING THESE THINGS TO
LIGHT, INSTEAD OF CREATING EVEN MORE DISTRESS AND
SCANDAL. MANY PRIESTS WERE ACCUSED AND YEARS
LATER FOUND INNOCENT TOO LATE TO REGAIN THEIR
PRIESTLY VOCATIONS.
PART OF THE CIVICS LESSON SHOULD HAVE BEEN THAT
THE CHILDREN BE TOLD OF THE POLICIES OF THIS NEW
PRESIDENT WHICH ARE CONTRARY TO THE CHURCH’S
TEACHING.
PLEASE BE SPECIFIC OF “FREQUENT THREADS AND
CAMPAIGNS” REVEALING ‘HATRED’. IS IT NOT YOUR
INTERPRETATION OF THINGS WHICH TROUBLE YOUR
CONSCIENCE?
PLEASE KNOW THAT I AM NOT ‘SHOUTING’----I JUST DON’T
KNOW HOW TO ‘COLOR’ MY RESPONSE TO SEPARATE IT
FROM THE QUOTE. DON’T MEAN ANY DISRESPECT.

It sounds a like a “local boy makes good” story.

I understand your uneasiness about connecting violence to the Church, but judging from the first issue (about the hero fighting the KKK - it can be seen here) it appears to be standard comic book fare. The hero uses violence to combat evil in order to prevent an even greater violence.

I mean no offense. I was asking for prayers. I am really upset by this paper’s view of what is good and praiseworthy for our students.

Fair enough, Cathy. I’ll join you in prayers.

To be honest, I’m not terribly fond of The Voice – for the most part. More often than not I am disappointed in some of the trivial and obscure stories they cover, even from a local standpoint. They capture some events and persons, but miss many more. So our perceptions are probably not that far off from each other’s, in that I find their feature stories just weird sometimes. I think I’m just more disappointed than outraged.
Peace,
E.
:slight_smile:

Elizabeth,
Thanks for helping me not go too far off the deep end. Iron sharpens iron, as they say. Thanks for your prayers.
Cathy

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.