May I now receive Communion?

My first marriage ended in divorce 23 years ago. We had one child. I subsequently remarried in a civil ceremony; my husband is Methodist. I started the annulment procedure twice. I withdrew the first time because my mother passed away and not being able to receive at her funeral broke my heart. I gathered myself and began the process again some years later. The priest who was acting as my advisor was transferred to another parish and I again stopped the process. My first husband was a homosexual. Sadly he recently passed away. Although my current 21-year marriage is a civil union, can I now receive? What do we have to do to have this marriage, which has produced 2 more wonderful children, blessed by the church? All of my children have been raised in the faith and received the sacraments as they should. I have not received communion since my remarriage. Thank you for you time.

Dear friend,

You need to see your priest about this so that he can convalidate (bless) your marriage. Then you may go to Confession and receive Holy Communion. Our prayers are with you.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.