May I receive Holy Communion? [edited]

I have been baptized in a church but i’ve never atteneded ccd or had communion or comfirmation. I go to a catholic high school and i recieve communion at school mass. Is that a sin or something???

I wouldn’t think so, but it would be a good idea to check into an RCIA program or see how you can get confirmed this coming Easter Vigil. :thumbsup:

You would have to check with the priest at the school. You should probably try and go to confession. You were baptized at a Catholic Church, right? Going to Mass at the school is good, but, if you are not fulfilling your Sunday obligation by going to Mass on Sundays, there will be problems. If I were you, I would refrain from receiving Holy Communion until your situation is fixed. It is not complicated to clear up, but, you need to do this as soon as possible.

Do you believe in the Eucharist and understand what it is? I don’t think Roman Catholics are supposed to receive the Eucharist without first having some understanding of it through CCD classes or other religious education.

gilmoregirlxoxo,
First thing is that you realy should talk to the priest at your parish, or the priest who is saying Mas at the school.

In the meantime though, some people here might be able to give you some guidance, but that very much depends on your individual situation. If you would answer a few questions, that will help.

Were you baptized in a Catholic church?

Were you raised Catholic? I know that you said you never received First Communion or Confirmation, but that’s a different question.

Have you been a practicing Catholic? Even if you’ve never been to CCD classes, you might still have been attending Mass every Sunday for all we know. A little more background would be most helpful.

I have been baptized in a church but i’ve never atteneded ccd or had communion or comfirmation. I go to a catholic high school and i recieve communion at school mass. Is that a sin or something???

You say in one sentence that you’ve had communion, and in the next that you receive communion.

Make up your mind.

It’s obvious she means she did not prepare for and celebrate her “First Communion” or receive the sacrament of Confirmation. No need to be harsh with her.

Betsy

It is a sin to receive Holy Communion if you are in the state of mortal sin, ie. with a mortal sin on your soul. Therefore, you must go to confession to return to the state of grace, ie. with no mortal sins on your soul. If you have questions as to what I mean by a mortal sin, or anything else, don’t hesitate to ask.

As for not receiving your first Holy Communion, I am not sure if it is a mortal sin, but it cannot be good. The stress comes to whether or not you have gone to 1) your first confession or not, and 2) confession since you committed your last mortal sin. If I were you, I would ask one of the priests if it is alright to continue receiving Holy Communion without going through the classes and official sacrament through the Church. Again, I wouldn’t advise receiving until you have gone through the proper means.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.