May I wear the St. Benedict's Medal as a tatoo?

Hi, I was wondering if it would be sacrilegious to get a (small) tatoo (either on the chest or on the back,or both) with an image of the St. Benedict Medal. Would it:
a)be a sin?
b)be effective?
c)be possible to get it blessed?

I do have a St. Benedict’s Medal as part of a cross which is somewhat impractical to carry around or wear without looking like a religious fanatic (which I am not, I am an unsuperstitious Catholic layman), I am constantly losing things, which doesn’t help.
I am a 23 year old Male, by the way.

Thanks

Hi,

The Church has not made any official pronouncements regarding tatoos. It evidently does not consider the wearing of such to be sinful. Nevertheless, God did not make any mistakes when He designed our bodies. We are just what He had in mind. He did not design them to be billboards. We reflect His glory best when we do it His way.

The St. Benedict medal is a medal—not a tattoo. Wearing the St. Benedict medal is a sign that one is a Catholic. If others choose to consider us fanatics, then we have the opportunity to bear witness to Christ who allowed Himself to be considered far worse than a fanatic for our sakes.

If it is inconvenient to wear a medal, all the more opportunity to offer Him the sacrifice.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.