May leavened bread be used for the Eucharist?

A parishioner in our parish makes a loaf of bread for Holy Thursday Mass. I don’t believe the recipe conforms to the requirements that the bread must be unleavened, made only with water and no additives. I expressed my concern to our pastoral administrator (we do not have a pastor at our parish), via email, but she has not responded. Tomorrow night is Liturgy Committee, so I guess I need to pose the question there. What document can I provide to the committee that states the requirements for the bread used? Thank you.

Dear Sue,

“Inaestimabile Donum” #8 from the Congregation for the Sacraments and Divine Worship states: “The bread for the celebration of the Eucharist, in accordance with the tradition of the whole Church, must be made solely of wheat, and, in accordance with the tradition proper to the Latin Church, it must be unleavened. By reason of the sign, the matter of the Eucharistic celebration ‘should appear as actual food.’ This is to be understood as linked to the consistency of the bread, and not to its form, which remains the traditional one (i.e., the form of a wafer). No other ingredients are to be added to the wheaten flour and water. The preparation of the bread requires attentive care to ensure that the product does not detract from the dignity due to the Eucharistic bread, can be broken in a dignified way, doe not give rise to excessive fragments, and does not offend the sensibilities of the faithful when they eat it.”

This should do it.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.