"May the Lord accept the sacrifice at your hands"

https://catholic-link.org/what-priest-said-about-mass-goosebumps/

Thanks for posting this. I still stumble with my words at this point. Now that I understand what is being said and why, I think it will help me focus and remember what I am saying. This is the only response that I’ve not been able to grasp.

Anyone here try the Latin? It’s a good tongue twister and challenging.

What is it?

Or, should I say, quid est?

“Suscipiat Dominus sacrificium de manibus tuis, ad laudem et gloriam nominis sui, ad utilitatem quoque nostram, totiusque ecclesiae suae sanctae.”

The fourfold repetition of the sound /-e/ at the end can be difficult.

V. “Pray, brethren, that my sacrifice and yours be acceptable to God the Father almighty.”
R. “May the Lord accept the sacrifice at your hands, for the praise and glory of His name, for our good and for the good of all His Holy Church.”

“That my sacrifice and yours be acceptable to God…” But what is our sacrifice?

It is sort of interesting that the sacrificial rituals of almost all cultures everywhere were basically the same. First the people bring to the priest the best that they could offer. It might be a lamb without blemish or a portion of their crops taken. The item is then offered to the god and a prayer is said that the god accept the sacrifice. This thing which belonged to the person now belonged to the god. It is then changed in some way so that it could no longer be used for its intended use. The lamb might be slain in a blood sacrifice or the crops might be burnt in a burnt offering. Another prayer is said by the priest that the god accept the sacrifice of the people and answer their plea for whatever they are asking for. Finally that which was given up but now belongs to the god would be shared among the people. The blood or the ashes might be sprinkled on the people or they may eat some of the flesh of the animal.

The same format can be seen in the Mass. First should be bringing forth the best that we could offer. But what are we offering to God? A bit of bread and a little wine? That hardly seems fitting as the best we could give. Jesus Himself? No… His sacrifice is later recalled but the Mass is not a reenactment of His selfless act because His sacrifice was once for all mankind. This is supposed to be OUR sacrifice. So what then is OUR offering?

This is where symbolism takes over. What is bread and what is wine? Food and drink… what we need to survive. In other words what we are bringing to the altar is our own lives. We then say to the priest “May the Lord accept the sacrifice at your hands”. It is then changed so that it no longer serves its original purpose through the Consecration to the body and blood of Jesus Christ. But what It is that we are asking to be changed? Not just the bread and wine but that WE also might be changed to the body and blood of Christ. It is as if we ourselves are stretched on the altar and our old selves die to be reborn as Christ Himself. Our old lives are gone, and now we live in Jesus. In the prayers following the Consecration we then ask God to accept OUR sacrifice and we have surety that He will because we ask Him to not see us on the altar but rather His Son Jesus and then we recall His death in fulfilling God’s will. His Resurrection is recalled when the priest breaks off a bit of the host and drops in the transmuted wine. We ask that we too can take part in Christ’s Resurrection. The bread and wine are now the body and blood of Christ and as we share in this feast we ask God to give us the strength to live as Jesus Himself.

I have found that so much meaning is there. But I think it is a shame that so few Catholics realize it.

What is she talking about!

Any chance someone can put into one sentence what she was saying?

This, I think:

I urge you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God, your spiritual worship. (Romans 12:1)

I saw this I believe the first day you posted it…I wanted to write it down, but had to pick my kids up. Thought about it this morning and went looking for it. I thank you, and the priest. It is beautiful… could not have been more thought provoking. I wish everyone would take time to listen what they are saying at Mass. God bless you.

I remember that prayer from my alter serving days. :grinning:
I had no idea what it meant!

closed #12

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.