May they miss Sunday Mass?

Our close friends invited two of our children to go camping over the weekend and they would not be able to attend Sunday Mass because they will leave Saturday morning and come back Sunday night. They asked our parish priest and he gave them the OK as long as they pray the readings of the day. We believe Church teaching is different and don’t want our children to go. There is a parish that has an evening Mass at 7pm, yet it is out of the way for them to get there and we don’t think they would go if it’s out of the way. I am wondering what is the proper way to handle this. I don’t think she will listen to us over a priest if we disagree that this is not a serious reason for missing Sunday Mass. As Catholics what is our responsibility or should we just let them know the children can’t go? I don’t think it will go favorably if we mention what the Church says about the Sunday mass obligations.

Hi,

Certainly, there have to be parishes around that have a Saturday night vigil Mass. Tell them to take the children to Mass the night before.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.