May we pray privately with members other Christian churches?

Example: I am the Chief of Police of a small town. Today, we had our annual town fair. Our town does not have a Catholic Church, but one of the booths set up today was from our town’s Church of God. I am friends with the Pastor, so before the fair started, I asked him to say a prayer with me for no violence and for everyone to remain safe. In fact, I do this almost daily with another friend who is a Baptist preacher- we meet for coffee and small talk and he always ends it with a prayer for the officers in my department to be safe in our daily duties.

At no time do they try and persuade me to change religions, etc. It’s just two men dedicated to Christ in prayer. Is this frowned upon in any way?

Hi,

It is perfectly alright for you to pray privately with members of other churches. In fact, it is commendable. But you are not permitted as a Catholic to join in their church services.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.