May we seek an alternate wedding site outside of a Catholic church?

Hello,

My daughter is getting married and is disabled. Mobility is a major challenge. She can stand and walk ( with braces on her legs ) for limited “spurts” of time, but is mostly in a wheel chair.

Our church is older and not particularly handicapped accessible. She’s very stressed about how she will navigate transitioning. Also, she wants very much to be able to walk down the aisle and stand before the alter.

Both she and her fiance are Catholic. I know the wedding is suppose to be held in the church.

However, can special permission be given to allow a priest to perform the wedding at a little non-denominational chapel that is a few feet from where the reception will be held? This would make it less physically demanding for my daughter and she would be able to walk the few steps down the short little aisle and remain standing. Whether in the church or not, they will not be having a mass, due to my daughter’s physical limitations.

Any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Dear friend,

You certainly can discuss this with your pastor. He may agree to it. I suggest a convent chapel. I will keep her and her fiancé in my prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.