Maybe Applying to Seminary

I am thinking bout applying to seminary within the next two months but I had a few questions that I hoped someone could help me with. I was wondering what conditions (simple terminology please) would prevent me from entering seminary at all and what conditions would put off seminary until a later date? I have in the past (sometimes the recent past) struggled with issues like pride, lazyness, masturbation, and have worked hard to overcome all of my character flaws.

Also, how sure should a man be of his calling to enter seminary? At times, I have felt that God was guiding me to the priesthood through signs and feelings and at others I feel a lack of a calling towards it. Currently, I’m not really feeling anything besides the desire for the lifestyle of the priesthood (I think it might be due to a phase of spiritual dryness [if thats the right term]) but in the past I thought there were certain signs that I might be called to it.

Thanks for any advice you can give

Are you considering the diocesan priesthood or a religious order?

If the former, have you contacted your diocese’s vocations director? If the latter, have you contacted the order(s) you are considering?

Those would be your next steps at this point – your diocese will determine whether or not they wish to send you to seminary, and they will choose the seminary.

Good luck!

I am considering diocesan and have contacted my vocations director. I just want to make sure ahead of time that I meet the basic requirements (not having any impediments)

An impediment would mean something like you were married and divorced without an annulment or you might have a physical impediment that would keep you from being ordained, but there seems to be less and less of that as they do try to be open to people with physical disabilities to a greater extent than in the past. As far as your struggles with sin, we all sin, even priests. If they only took sinless people there would be no one in the seminaries.

[quote="YoungCatholic86, post:1, topic:298945"]
I am thinking bout applying to seminary within the next two months but I had a few questions that I hoped someone could help me with. I was wondering what conditions (simple terminology please) would prevent me from entering seminary at all and what conditions would put off seminary until a later date? I have in the past (sometimes the recent past) struggled with issues like pride, lazyness, masturbation, and have worked hard to overcome all of my character flaws.

Also, how sure should a man be of his calling to enter seminary? At times, I have felt that God was guiding me to the priesthood through signs and feelings and at others I feel a lack of a calling towards it. Currently, I'm not really feeling anything besides the desire for the lifestyle of the priesthood (I think it might be due to a phase of spiritual dryness [if thats the right term]) but in the past I thought there were certain signs that I might be called to it.

Thanks for any advice you can give

[/quote]

It sounds to me like a progression. There is the call and now you've gotten to a place where you like the whole idea of the life. That you don't have that connected "call" feeling, doesn't mean you aren't, it just means you are in another place. Sounds like maturity to me.

I also think most men share a lot of your feelings and fears and confusions and excitement and .. well.. you get my drift. It's all still a process, so just take the next step. You want to be essentially debt-free or be able to get there soon, have no diagnosis of major mental illness, no warrants out for your arrest.

BTW, you will never stop struggling with the issues you mentioned. I hope. The struggle is the path.

MOST SACRED HEART OF JESUS, Please bless and protect YoungCatholic86, as he may desire to follow you as a Priest!! Please guide him and protect him on this dangerous path of life…!!:D:D

Impediments also include, marriage, homicide, abortion, self-harming, attempted suicide, apostasy (publicly denying the teachings of the Church) .

God bless and preserve you, Young Catholic, and may the Holy Spirit guide you on your spiritual path! I wish you the best in our Lord Jesus Christ in pursuing this most Holy calling!

Good luck, pray for your call, go to confession, receive holy communion and be simply happy and full of joy that you are choosen. May God helps us on the way to His Altar. I will remember you in my prayer. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.