Mayim Bialik: Religion isn’t ‘trendy’ in Hollywood

Emmy-winning actress and neuroscientist Mayim Bialik isn’t afraid to speak out about her sometimes-unconventional social views, from writing a book about attachment parenting to criticizing hyper-sexualized celebrities in a recent essay.

Now, she’s talking candidly about religion in entertainment, claiming that “it’s never going to be trendy to be observant or religious in Hollywood circles” in an interview with FOX411.

“There are people I know of faith and we tend to congregate together,” she said, describing how she interacts with her Jewish faith in a less-than-welcoming environment. “I study Jewish texts weekly. That’s something really positive to me when you’re a person of faith, it stays with you all the time.”

religionnews.com/2015/08/26/mayim-bialik-religion-isnt-trendy-hollywood/?utm_content=buffer02e35&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

It’s odd wording that she uses.
Since when is religion ever considered “trendy”…in any city, in any mileu, in any century?
It’s not a description or adjective I would ever attach to religion.
I would think that a religious person wouldn’t* want* religion to ever be “trendy” in any way, anywhere.

Case in point…religion has had moments when it has inded been very trendy in Hollywood. As per the Madonna Kabbalah following (and other celebs who have flocked to that)…and the Scientology movement helmed by Tom Cruise and John Travolta and other big stars…Dyan Cannon holds prayer meetings…Marilyn Monroe was part of a Christian Science popularity in the Fifties.
So I’d say…she’s wrong. Religion has been trendy in Hollywood.

But I imagine what she’s actually trying to say is that people in the entertainment biz on the whole tend not to be religious.
This may be true of artists in general, because they are often seekers and explorers of new, changing ideas and feelings and the vibe of the people…instead of being attached to traditional ones that do not change.
For many, that’s part of being an artist–actor, writer, director.

Why is she “afraid” to give her opinion?
Is she worried she will not get work?

I’d suggest she turn to the very “religious” Mel Gibson for support, but…I have a feeling that won’t work out so well.

As usual, perceptive, insightful commentary, DG! Better that she turn to Roma Downey and Della Reese of Touched by an Angel fame than Mel Gibson.

She’s not worried that she’ll get work! She’s a featured star on the Big Bang series. Interestingly enough, she also has a Ph.d. I believe she’s a member of the Jewish orthodox faith, and she always is dressed modestly on the set.

I’m glad she’s proud of her faith, and could give a good example to others in the Hollywood set.

Because Mel Gibson fell, is no reason to belittle her. I believe that with the current morality of this country, it’s great that she’s speaking out. And she’s a wonderful actress.

No matter what you do, religion doesn’t go away: it just reforms, often really badly. Religion is a deep “impulse” in human nature.

What Mayim Bialik means is not just religion in general, but a certain species of religion: traditional religion (with “traditional” ethics), and especially Christianity. Anyone with a knowledge of real, traditional Buddhism (of any branch) can see that even the Hollywood “Buddhists” are really following some self-centered New Age replacement, for example.

And Mrs. Bialik is just saying the obvious anyway.

Christi pax,

Lucretius

I think she meant that the Hollywood crowd is generally superficial & petty. They follow whatever the “in” thing is at that moment. Religion is sooo old-fashioned after all! :rolleyes:

I think most Christians & observant Jews in Hollywood keep a low profile…at least until they’re powerful enough to not give a flying…fig. :smiley:

Right on, MB!

So…did she say why she’s afraid to give her opinion?
I must have missed it in the story.

Belittling? I wasn’t belittling her at all. I think she’s great.

And I don’t consider Mel Gibson as being someone who “fell”, either.

Can you explain more what you mean on both counts?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.