McCarrick housed in my Diocese

Ummm - as a retired prelate can’t he live anywhere he wants? Isn’t it good that he is accepting guidance and supervision?

He has been ordered to live in seclusion and prayer until the outcome of his canonical trial. He really couldn’t live anywhere he wanted.

This error in judgment is almost beyond belief. It just goes on and on and on. Just when you think people are chastened and will begin to make prudent choices this kind of thing happens.
These men are supposed to have a degree of wisdom!

Funny… I prefer definition 2 here at dictionary.com

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/optics

Got it. Thanks.

Reminds me of the way too nice accommodations given to Bernard Cardinal Law; who was made the archpriest of St. Mary Major in Rome. He too should have been in jail.

Deacon Christopher

Has he repented? I get the sense some of these repeat offenders still have no clue what they did “wrong.” God help them; their consciences are so darkened.

I suspect a jail cell would be similar to a cell in that friary.

Maybe it is not about where, but rather who is there to guide him. God wants the sinner to repent and this place may have the right person in place. Also, the goal was to minimize the damage he could do. It should be about the sinner not us.

I AM NOT moaning, (and as far as I know, I am the only person on here from said Diocese.) I merely was pondering why this area was chosen. I HAVE NOT said anything against the ex-Cardinal, or anyone else.

The Cathedral of the Plains!!! Sorry—off topic—but I consider this church my spiritual birthplace. Jesus used a photo I took of a crucifix there to break down my defenses and capture my heart. Pulled me out of the darkness of depression, anxiety, and unbelief. I am a Catholic today because of this church. :heart:

There are quite a few other beautiful Catholic Churches in that part of the state, albeit not as grand as St. Fidelis. The one in Liebenthal is stunning as well.

Beloved, do not look for revenge but leave room for the wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” Rather, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head.” Do not be conquered by evil but conquer evil with good.
Rom 12:19-21

The Church should not shield him from the civil consequences for what he did, that is not what St. Paul meant, but the Church should keep this man in the fold in order to protect the world from him. There were other clergy in the past who were just unceremoniously “cut loose,” and where did they go? Even if this bishop is not found guilty of any civil offense for which the statute of limitations has not passed, the Church owes it to the world to keep an eye on him and give him no opportunity for anything but repentance.

That doesn’t require deeming some monastery or other “not severe enough” for him. I don’t think there are monks anywhere who want to win the “we take the worst of the worst because we’re the hardest” sweepstakes. Rather, these kinds of offenders need to be spread out, so that no one monastery is asked to take more than their share.

It is fortunate for him, that he has been given a chance to actually go to a place where he can do just that, pray and do penance around a religious community that knows what is going on. It would be hard to do that as well, under a bridge. By prayer and penance, he might do himself and his victims some good.

The concern I think is more that many of us are seeing our friends who are not Catholic say, why is this man put so close to a school and a congregation? Is it like the Catholic church does not care if he offends again? They will see such a thing as paying only lip service to protecting children.

I’m less concerned about the niceness of the place and more about the proximity.

He is not accused of driving around in a van and luring children in with a false story about a lost kitten he needs help to find. He’s accused of grooming victims and abusing the same victim over a long period of time. As it is, he is not going to be given any opportunities to do either one.

The comfort, actually, is that he was not smuggled in “discretely,” without anyone knowing who he was…and, technically speaking, this could have been done. Monasteries do not usually publish their guest lists, after all. He is also not being turned loose where he would have the opportunity to operate anonymously, perhaps trying to “disappear” or hide from the civil authorities.

Instead, the public has been notified that he is where he is. He isn’t going to be allowed to cultivate any relationships with any children and I will wager he won’t even have any relationships with any adults who are not fully aware of the accusations leveled against him. He is going to be denied the main thing this type of offender needs to offend, which is privacy with victims and ignorance of what he is capable of.

I am certain, too, that if there are civil authorities who want to try him, he will not have protection beyond what he is entitled by civil law. I very much doubt that the Church is going to make any effort to protect him from the temporal consequences of his actions.

Well, he is in a cell I think, just not a prison cell.

In my opinion, this is one of most reasonable comments on this post.

St Philip Neri: “but for they grace oh Lord, there goeth I” (in reference to a criminal about to be executed).
God bless you.

There was a nice bit in the Imitation that always stuck with me-- “We are all of us frail, but none so frail as I.”

You don’t know that. According to Catholic-Hierarchy.org, there are two bishops currently over 100 years old and dozens in their 90s. He could very well live another decade or more.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.