McCarrick Report: a great relief

I’m sure I’m not alone in being mightily reassured by the McCarrick Report which makes it clear . . . that McCarrick deceived many and there was systemic failure in the clerical culture that enabled him and failed, at key points, to investigate allegations against him.

5 Likes

Lol I see what you did there.

2 Likes

Perhaps the Church will reflect on the modern phenomenon of near-instant canonization of late popes, and return to a longer period of assessment - say, a century or so.

10 Likes

Would be a smart move. The instant canonization thing is a bit much, of anyone, not just popes.

2 Likes

Seems like a lot of armchair Popes out there these days, knowing about Pope stuff better than the Pope. Makes me chuckle.

12 Likes

You ought to retract your post, it’s defamatory of a saint and a past Pope who are not culpable in the way you are asserting.

11 Likes

Doesn’t look like he specified a “way” in which they were “culpable.” Does point out some of the irony in all the Francis bashing we see here though.

2 Likes

lol armchair popes

4 Likes

“pope stuff” lolol

3 Likes

You know that, huh? What crystal ball did you use? :wink:

2 Likes

Are you saying McCarrick didn’t have more victims because he wasn’t stopped when the issue first came up?

1 Like

I was being sarcastic.

I’m saying you weren’t in anyone’s head to know why they made the decisions they made.

Thank you for clarifying. I will delete my post.

One can speculate why a now saint refused to believe accusations from multiple sources regarding an abusive cleric. One can also speculate why this isn’t the only case where he did so.

2 Likes

One can speculate about a lot of things. Without telepathy, one can do only that, however. One can’t “know” anything.

3 Likes

One can know the victims.

One can also speculate why this seems to hold no weight with you whatsoever.

1 Like

And that does nothing to defeat my point.

2 Likes

Pope John Paul II deserved to be canonized and I for one am glad that he was.

Saints aren’t perfect and it seems clear from reading the 166 pages of the report I managed to get through before my computer crashed, that much of the problem was due to bishops not reporting the information they were receiving. Furthermore as the report notes, Pope JPII was used to smears against bishops being used by oppressive regimes in Poland to discredit the Church. Between that and the fact that his focus was on fighting Communism, it’s sad but understandable that he did not do something about this.

Pope Benedict did try to do something about it, so there’s that.

23 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.