McConnell-Reid Deal Includes $2 Billion Earmark for Kentucky Project

From WFPL:A proposal to end the government shutdown and avoid default orchestrated by Republican Leader Mitch McConnell and Democratic Leader Harry Reid includes a $2 billion earmark for a Kentucky project.

Language in a draft of the McConnell-Reid deal (see page 13, section 123) provided to WFPL News shows a provision that increases funding for the massive Olmsted Dam Lock in Louisville from $775 million to nearly $2. 9 billion.

The dam is considered an important project for the state and region in regards to water traffic along the Ohio River.
[bibledrb]Matt 26:14-16[/bibledrb]

Pork = money spent in any state other than your own.

I’m Shocked. Shocked I tell you!
youtube.com/watch?v=-Gf8NK1WAOc

An earmark for a KENTUCKY project? I simply cannot believe it! Oh well, carry on…

You get who you vote for :shrug:.

Linus2nd

The Senate passed the McConnell-Reid deal by a 81-18 vote and it now heads to the House.

Among those who voted against the bill were Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky, who derided the legislation for overlooking the nation’s debt.

“Tonight, a deal was struck to re-open the government and avoid the debt ceiling deadline. That is a good thing,” Paul said in a statement. “However, our country faces a problem bigger than any deadline: a $17 trillion debt. I am disappointed that Democrats would not compromise to avoid the looming debt debacle.”

There are politicians around with principles still.

Paul has twice the integrity of McConnell or Reid. For all the people that deride the TP, they can have guys like Mitch and Dingy Harry. If Rand dies tomorrow, he does so an honest man. Not so much with the other two. Good luck explaining that to God.

I would have supported alleviating the government shutdown had they come up with a law that protects our religious liberties and conscience rights which are under attack but otherwise I do not support alleviating it.

It says a lot about the people of Kentucky too, that they elect someone like Rand Paul, who simply was not bought off by something that would put money directly into his electorates(their) pockets.

That should improve Kentucky’s credit rating.

Keep them coming. :rolleyes:

Could I get $2 million dollars? Please send to:

Ed
Box 1
Anywhere, USA

Peace,
Ed

I’m not greedy.

You think so? Here’s Rand talking to McConnell. Makes you wonder about anyone’s integrity.

We’re going to win this.

Among those who voted against the bill were Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky, who derided the legislation for overlooking the nation’s debt.

Don’t they call this a hedged position in finance?

Principles, perhaps; but wisdom, probably not. These politicians, including Rand Paul, voted to put our country in economic default.

Free candy is persuasive.

I don’t know which is scarier. The fact that these men wanted American prosperity to cease, with all the nefarious consequences; or they are too stupid to know what would actually happen.

They do whatever it takes to get re-elected. It’s an established fact that most politicians spend more than half their days on fund-raising. McConnell just won re-election. Maybe that’s what the Democrats wanted all along.

My sincere hope is that Republicans realize that the Citizens United campaign funding fiasco is just as bad for them as it is for Democrats.

So much for that “clean” CR that the Senate was demanding.

Just one more bit of evidence that the Republican party is not the party of small government.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.