McDonalds is a Bad McInfluence…

My sister is in town from the Big Apple and decided to get the kiddos a treat, a McDonald’s happy meal, while I started to bring out a few Christmas decorations.

I heard the usual chorus of “Oh Boy! Chicken Nuggets!” My sister threw me the “toy” that came in the happy meal.

Oh boy, a W.I.T.C.H. figurine, what a great idea. I mean sure, if you like teens that can control wind, fire and water etc. and feel empowered by this, why not? Oh, and the title, “W.I.T.C.H” that must be harmless, right? After all, it is just the first letter of the first name of each of the characters. And let’s face it, it is created by Disney, how could that be a problem? Did I mention they had their little midriffs showing? How totally modest and hip of them…

The problem is that my 4 year old is getting this toy in her HAPPY MEAL! It is a treat for her because it isn’t exactly a regular occurrence due to the nutritional information. (I use the phrase nutritional very loosely.) What am I supposed to think when a toy (and the bag the meal comes in) has the word WITCH all over it? These characters battle “evil” by their own “magical” powers. So that makes it okay, because it is a “good” kind of magical power? I will be upfront and say that the term WITCH is the phrase that makes me sit up and take notice. I am uncomfortable with it and my motherly instinct says “NO!”.

No, I do not believe I am not overreacting. As a parent I am responsible for the nurturing and protection of my children. I am selective about television programming, books, etc. what would me act any differently about a toy? I will put my money where my mouth (a big mouth maybe) and tell them this is not okay.

the fast food places usually have posters advertising the toys in the happy meals, and examples of the toys on display, if a parent doesn’t like the toy (or the nutritionally deviant meal, a far greater danger to their child than the toy or the bag) he is free to feed the child someplace else. I would certainly let the retailer know the reason why I choose to take my business elsewhere.

LynnieLew, your maternal instincts are alive and well! I find the WITCH Happy Meals (and the concept in general) to be disgusting. Thank you for protecting your children and not giving them harmful toys!

McDonalds has a promotional website for the WITCH meals:
mcdonalds.com/usa/ronald/happy/witch.html

[quote=puzzleannie]the fast food places usually have posters advertising the toys in the happy meals, and examples of the toys on display, if a parent doesn’t like the toy (or the nutritionally deviant meal, a far greater danger to their child than the toy or the bag) he is free to feed the child someplace else. I would certainly let the retailer know the reason why I choose to take my business elsewhere.
[/quote]

I agree with you. I did call and let them know that I wasn’t happy with the toy and wouldn’t get anymore until they change it. Since it is a rare occurance to go there, they will probably change the toy by then anyway.

I guess I am just disappointed with what is out there. I had never really thought of it before.

[quote=puzzleannie]the fast food places usually have posters advertising the toys in the happy meals, and examples of the toys on display, if a parent doesn’t like the toy (or the nutritionally deviant meal, a far greater danger to their child than the toy or the bag) he is free to feed the child someplace else. I would certainly let the retailer know the reason why I choose to take my business elsewhere.
[/quote]

Mcikky’s also has other toys besides the toy of the moment. There are toys for 3 years old and under, and leftover toys from the last big promotion. Ask.

And Annie’s right- LET MCDONALD’S KNOW WHY YOU DON’T WANT THE WITCH TOY.

When I took the kids last week, I just didn’t order Happy Meals. :smiley:

voting with your $ is a great way to have an influence, and yes, do tell the store/company exactly what is causing you to take your business elsewhere. They have no reason to change their strategy if we play along.

Happily there are other options out there.

cheddar

What happened to the cool toys:
http://www.nintendoland.com/graphics/rest/happymeal.jpg

[quote=Catholic Dude]What happened to the cool toys:
http://www.nintendoland.com/graphics/rest/happymeal.jpg
[/quote]

:amen: My husband got all excited when he saw those toys. He had every single one of them, and he still whistles the Mario theme song on a weekly basis, at least :smiley:

[quote=CatholicSam]:amen: My husband got all excited when he saw those toys. He had every single one of them, and he still whistles the Mario theme song on a weekly basis, at least :smiley:
[/quote]

When he saw them here or for the first time?
Those were when the video games were cool and original, especially the theme music which gets stuck in your head.

“Oh boy, a W.I.T.C.H. figurine, what a great idea. I mean sure, if you like teens that can control wind, fire and water etc. and feel empowered by this, why not? Oh, and the title, “W.I.T.C.H” that must be harmless, right? After all, it is just the first letter of the first name of each of the characters. And let’s face it, it is created by Disney, how could that be a problem? Did I mention they had their little midriffs showing? How totally modest and hip of them…”

Some people have WAY too much time on their hands…

PuzzleAnnie is correct. The food is more dangerous than the toys. The kids will most likely forget about the toys in a short time, but the poor nutrition habits will stay with them forever. I finally had to cut out fast food altogether. I noticed all sorts of behavior problems with too much fast food. I always considered it a treat as well, then realized my “treat” was hurting my kids.

As for the toys, they are always crappy toys anyway. They usually ended up on the floor of my truck, or under the bed until we cleaned and threw them away. What a waste. I don’t know anything about these W.I.T.C.H. toys, never seen them. I do remember a lot of talk about Mario Bros. being pagen! Oh, and that gay Teletubbie. There’s always gonna be toys that you don’t approve of out there. As said before, just avoid them. Or better yet, avoid all the fast food and you’ll all be happier!

[quote=Ronin]“Oh boy, a W.I.T.C.H. figurine, what a great idea. I mean sure, if you like teens that can control wind, fire and water etc. and feel empowered by this, why not? Oh, and the title, “W.I.T.C.H” that must be harmless, right? After all, it is just the first letter of the first name of each of the characters. And let’s face it, it is created by Disney, how could that be a problem? Did I mention they had their little midriffs showing? How totally modest and hip of them…”

Some people have WAY too much time on their hands…
[/quote]

I assure you I do not have too much time on my hands.

LynnieLew,
Thanks for the news update. By some miracle, me and mine haven’t been to McD’s in almost a month, and I’ve banned most of the kid channels from the tv due to the type of messages they are sending, so I never would have seen their commercials. Guess I’ll continue avoiding McD’s…bad for my cholesterol anyway.

Keep up the good fight. Most of us just can’t see the subtle lures aimed at our children until it’s too late. I shudder to think where I might have ended up, but for the grace of God. My daughter was looking at some old photos of me yesterday (I’m 43 now) and her comment was, “Boy, Mom, you sure dressed inappropriately back then!” She’s 9 years old. I hope and pray that her generation will bring this world back to God.

It goes along with those Bratz dolls.

Kids get accustomed to a certain look and think it is OK. I once heard a 9 yr old girl say that showing your bellybutton is sexy. :eek:

It is the slow acceptance of lower standards in seemingly harmless ways with parents that don’t know enough to teach their children the proper way that is really the main problem.

it occured to me during Mass today (some particularly disruptive children, came in during the sermon with parents, sat in front pew, entire family acted like tourists who had never been in a church before) that McDs can help us prepare children to behave in Church.

They have to learn the rules of polite eating there before they can be trusted in “nice” restaurants (we used to call them white-tablecloth places). they learn to sit in the chair properly and eat, not climb all over to booth, to clear the table and throw the trash away, not to kick the booth to annoy other patrons, not to take food on the playland, to wear socks, and follow the posted rules for playland. to stand in line and wait their turn to be served, not to whine, to finish their meal.

then when they have learned to eat nicely at McDs they can be taken to a nicer place, and learn some more etiquette, how to use knife and fork etc., to moderate the tone of voice in conversation, to wait patiently while others eat, that there is appropriate dress and conduct in public places, out of respect for others.

then they learn how to behave in the library, to be quiet, to take good care of the books, wash their hands before handling books, etc.

In stages we socialize them, that is teach them how to behave in public, and that respect is the foundation for proper behavior.

How unfair to children to take them to say, a theater, or other public place where good behavior, quiet, sitting still etc. are necessary without any preparation or any training. Discipline is a long slow process and does not happen overnight, but McDs can help and be one phase in that process.

[quote=LynnieLew]My sister is in town from the Big Apple and decided to get the kiddos a treat, a McDonald’s happy meal, while I started to bring out a few Christmas decorations.

I heard the usual chorus of “Oh Boy! Chicken Nuggets!” My sister threw me the “toy” that came in the happy meal.

Oh boy, a W.I.T.C.H. figurine, what a great idea. I mean sure, if you like teens that can control wind, fire and water etc. and feel empowered by this, why not? Oh, and the title, “W.I.T.C.H” that must be harmless, right? After all, it is just the first letter of the first name of each of the characters. And let’s face it, it is created by Disney, how could that be a problem? Did I mention they had their little midriffs showing? How totally modest and hip of them…

The problem is that my 4 year old is getting this toy in her HAPPY MEAL! It is a treat for her because it isn’t exactly a regular occurrence due to the nutritional information. (I use the phrase nutritional very loosely.) What am I supposed to think when a toy (and the bag the meal comes in) has the word WITCH all over it? These characters battle “evil” by their own “magical” powers. So that makes it okay, because it is a “good” kind of magical power? I will be upfront and say that the term WITCH is the phrase that makes me sit up and take notice. I am uncomfortable with it and my motherly instinct says “NO!”.

No, I do not believe I am not overreacting. As a parent I am responsible for the nurturing and protection of my children. I am selective about television programming, books, etc. what would me act any differently about a toy? I will put my money where my mouth (a big mouth maybe) and tell them this is not okay.
[/quote]

We do McDonald’s once in awhile for “treats” for the kiddos (Ages 2 and 4 right now) and DH told me yesterday…no “treats” at McD’s for awhile…I don’t like the toys they have right now.

Now I see what he was talking about. Sheesh!

[quote=puzzleannie]it occured to me during Mass today (some particularly disruptive children, came in during the sermon with parents, sat in front pew, entire family acted like tourists who had never been in a church before) that McDs can help us prepare children to behave in Church.

They have to learn the rules of polite eating there before they can be trusted in “nice” restaurants (we used to call them white-tablecloth places). they learn to sit in the chair properly and eat, not climb all over to booth, to clear the table and throw the trash away, not to kick the booth to annoy other patrons, not to take food on the playland, to wear socks, and follow the posted rules for playland. to stand in line and wait their turn to be served, not to whine, to finish their meal.

then when they have learned to eat nicely at McDs they can be taken to a nicer place, and learn some more etiquette, how to use knife and fork etc., to moderate the tone of voice in conversation, to wait patiently while others eat, that there is appropriate dress and conduct in public places, out of respect for others.

then they learn how to behave in the library, to be quiet, to take good care of the books, wash their hands before handling books, etc.

In stages we socialize them, that is teach them how to behave in public, and that respect is the foundation for proper behavior.

How unfair to children to take them to say, a theater, or other public place where good behavior, quiet, sitting still etc. are necessary without any preparation or any training. Discipline is a long slow process and does not happen overnight, but McDs can help and be one phase in that process.
[/quote]

Puzzle Annie,
You make a wonderful point! How can we expect children to act like adults in public when they haven’t even had the benefit of going out and being allowed to make the “mistakes” in a setting which isn’t as intimidating. We are there to teach and correct.

I just sent a short and sweet e-mail to McD’s telling them that I’d be avoiding McD’s until this promotion is gone.

They need to know we care.

CARose

[quote=mjdonnelly]It goes along with those Bratz dolls.

Kids get accustomed to a certain look and think it is OK. I once heard a 9 yr old girl say that showing your bellybutton is sexy. :eek:

It is the slow acceptance of lower standards in seemingly harmless ways with parents that don’t know enough to teach their children the proper way that is really the main problem.
[/quote]

i had a religion teacher who always said “satan won’t wrap the noose around your neck, he doesn’t have to, he’ll give you the rope an inch at a time and let you tie your own noose.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.