McDonald's opens first outlet in Vietnam's Ho Chi Minh (City)

Fast-food giant McDonald’s - often seen as a symbol of American capitalism - has opened its first restaurant in communist-controlled Vietnam . . .

The restaurant is being run by the (Vietnam’s) prime minister’s son-in-law.

Starbucks, Subway, Burger King, and KFC all have a presence there.

bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26101009

McDonald’s, Starbucks, Subway, Burger King, and KFC / All doing business with the Godless Communists and our former enemy. :eek: :frowning:

“The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”

― George Orwell, Animal Farm

goodreads.com/work/quotes/2207778-animal-farm-a-fairy-story

A CIA plot, no doubt. That toxic sauce McD’s puts on its burgers will undoubtedly put an end to many. :smiley:

No surprise that the head red’s son in law has the franchise. That’s the pattern in all “peoples’ republics”.

Ronald McDonald will succeed where the US military failed. Actually, Jollibee, the Philippines’ version of McDonald’s, has a bigger present in Vietnam.

I think they should call it the Saigon McDonalds.

McDonald’s is famous for customizing its menu to fit the eating customs of its international clients e.g. no beef in India, a shrimp burger in Japan, rice porridge with bits of chicken, ginger, onion, shallots and chili peppers for Malaysia etc.

What the Vietnam McDonald’s come up with will be interesting. Already, they are offering something called the McPork, although I have no idea what it would be.

As mentioned in the first news article, the son-in-law of Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dun is the owner of the new restaurant. He will also be the developmental licensee for Vietnam to build the brand. In an economy which still has some degree of central planning, I think it would be useful to have the right connections. :o

I think I’ll have the McPho, Supersized, with a Diet Coke.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.