Me in the RCC

SOrry if this is the wrong place…I’m in a lot of worry and grief right now. Well first off when I was supposedly called by God to be Catholic (I was positive at the time He wanted me to be Catholic). I was filled with bliss, I was the happpiest I’d ever been in my life. I had been away from God from so long, and now I was becoming Catholic, studying the Faith, and praying. Now that it’s RCIA time I’m terrified. I sit before Mass just worrying and being extremely nervous…and thinking “wait, what if this isnt God’s will?” its a horrific fear to think ive been so confident in this for so long and loving God so much, and now what if He doesnt want me in the Catholic Church, I believe the Catholic Church is the true faith, and believe everything the Church teaches…but now my heart is full of doubt, I pray but I eel no answers… to this dilema. then i wondered, "if i dont become Catholic where will I go? i know all Protestantism is a mess considering it has around 20,000 denominations, and i sincerely dont want to go back to any of that.(i used to be Protestant). can someone please help me. just reassure me? something? anything?

You have wonderfully expressed how the Holy Spirit has led you to RCIA! Thanks be to God.

The evil one wants to discourage you. Pray anyway - God hears you! Make acts of faith in Him! Even if you feel that He does not hear you. Ask our Blessed Mother to put her protective mantle around you!

I will pray for you…God bless,

Dorothy

Maegan God loves you, and obviously wants you to be part of the flock, he wouldn’t have brought you this far to abandon you now. Your prayers are all heard, and your fears are known. You are not alone. The thousands of people who read this page will all pray for you and for your faith.
God bless you and may the holy spirit continue to guide you home to the true church. You are on the right path.

Doubts are not uncommon…Move forward in confidence and learn all that you can.

Peace
James

Dorothy is right. Your qualms are nothing more than Satan trying to discourage you. The remedy is quite easy. When the feeling comes upon you, just make the Sign of The Cross and say “Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner”. It also wouldn’t hurt to say a Hail Mary.
Another thing you could do for when you are at home, is to stop by a drug store and buy a small bottle-4 oz. or so in size- and go to your rectory and have it filled with Holy Water. You can use that to bless yourself with (i.e. make the Sign of The Cross) at home.
All of the above are guarenteed to keep Satan away from you!!!

but what if im not called to be Catholic??? :’(

Maegan, dear one, all people are called to be Catholic. It is only a question of if they have been properly catechized to accept the church of their own free will! This isn’t a particular calling such as to becoming a priest or a nun, this is a universal calling. All people walk their own spiritual journey, that is true, but the end result is that they hopefully end up in the Catholic church!

As to your fears, be reassured: satan does not want you to become catholic, to the point that the rascal is making you second guess yourself. But you’re only just starting RCIA! It’s not like you HAVE to make the decision RIGHT NOW and you can never change it. You have months and months to go before deciding to enter the church formally. So calm down and relax!

Furthermore, the Catholic church is not hung up on emotive indicators. We don’t guage God’s will by whether or not we get a “warm fuzzy” about a decision. It’s God’s will that I go to confession, and going is definitely an uncomfortable thing to contemplate before we go… but it is also a GOOD thing, despite my nervousness before hand. You see, God can move us through a sense that “this is the right path”, but God has an even more common and wonderful means of guiding us daily: He gave us the gift of rationality, so that we can detach from that emotional, animalistic state and look at a situation with logic and reason… and it sounds like you’re doing that and that the result is that you’re discerning the catholic church. All I’m saying is to evaluate the source of your nervousness and compare it to the rationality that God gave you as a guide.

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:1, topic:300756"]
SOrry if this is the wrong place.....I'm in a lot of worry and grief right now. Well first off when I was supposedly called by God to be Catholic (I was positive at the time He wanted me to be Catholic). I was filled with bliss, I was the happpiest I'd ever been in my life. I had been away from God from so long, and now I was becoming Catholic, studying the Faith, and praying. Now that it's RCIA time I'm terrified. I sit before Mass just worrying and being extremely nervous...and thinking "wait, what if this isnt God's will?" its a horrific fear to think ive been so confident in this for so long and loving God so much, and now what if He doesnt want me in the Catholic Church, I believe the Catholic Church is the true faith, and believe everything the Church teaches...but now my heart is full of doubt, I pray but I eel no answers.. to this dilema. then i wondered, "if i dont become Catholic where will I go? i know all Protestantism is a mess considering it has around 20,000 denominations, and i sincerely dont want to go back to any of that.(i used to be Protestant). can someone please help me. just reassure me? something? anything?

[/quote]

I can appreciate your feelings and sense of doubt at this time. For some, the newness of the Mass can seem overwhelming, particularly the Eucharist, not to mention the stand-sit-kneel rhythm (trying to be a little humorous here).

As a lifelong Catholic, I can assure you some of the emotions and feelings I have. For one, no matter where I am in the country or the world I can walk into any Catholic Church and feel at home. Truly. I am not joking. I feel welcomed, comforted, secure, at peace. Why? Because I know our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is in the Church, in the Tabernacle, in the Real Presence. How comforting is that? Also, no matter where you are in the country or world, even if you are across town, you may attend any Catholic Mass and Mass is the same. Think about that. The Masses in France, Colombia, and Uganda are the same as the Mass at your home parish. The first and second readings, the responsorial Psalm, the Gospel, are all the same. Read St. Justin Martyr (see below) and you will realize the Mass is not a new phenomenon. It dates to the Apostles.

Another aspect, Mass is offered daily throughout parishes. Maybe it is Tuesday and you are having a difficult time. Perhaps during lunch or at the end of the day you find a Catholic Church offering Mass. And if you go to that Mass it is the same Mass as other parishes are having throughout the country and world with the same readings. Catholic in Greek means "universal" and you are part of the universal church with all of us who pray for you and for all.

Please be comforted in Mass and at any and all Catholic Churches that not only are you at home, but that you are never alone. Your are surrounded by the icons of St. Mary, St. Joseph, the Patron Saint of the Parish, the Stations of the Cross, the stained glass windows, and, most importantly the Real Presence of Christ.

May God Bless You.

Jim

St. Justin Martyr – The First Apology of Justin - Chapter LXVI – Of the Eucharist – “And this food is called among us Eukaristia [the Eucharist], of which no one is allowed to partake but the man who believes that the things which we teach are true, and who has been washed with the washing that is for the remission of sins, and unto regeneration, and who is so living as Christ has enjoined. For not as common bread and common drink do we receive these; but in like manner as Jesus Christ our Saviour, having been made flesh by the Word of God, had both flesh and blood for our salvation, so likewise have we been taught that the food which is blessed by the prayer of His word, and from which our blood and flesh by transmutation are nourished, is the flesh and blood of that Jesus who was made flesh. For the apostles, in the memoirs composed by them, which are called Gospels, have thus delivered unto us what was enjoined upon them; that Jesus took bread, and when He had given thanks, said, "This do ye in remembrance of Me, this is My body;" and that, after the same manner, having taken the cup and given thanks, He said, "This is My blood;" and gave it to them alone. Which the wicked devils have imitated in the mysteries of Mithras, commanding the same thing to be done. For, that bread and a cup of water are placed with certain incantations in the mystic rites of one who is being initiated, you either know or can learn.”

St. Justin Martyr – The First Apology of Justin - Chapter LXVII – Weekly Worship of the Christians – “…And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. …But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He taught them these things, which we have submitted to you also for your consideration.”

These are available at: earlychristianwritings.com/

Maegan,

As you proceed on your journey, make no mistake: the choirs in heaven are rejoicing at your joining of Christ’s holy Church, while the devil and his minions are writhing with anger. I don’t know if you have experienced this before, but what you are encountering now is spiritual warfare. There is a very real battle for your soul, and the devil will do everything in his power to keep you away from Christ and His Church. He is filling your head with doubts right now.

But you do not need to be afraid, of course, because our LORD is infinitely superior to anything the devil can do. It is Christ who is leading you to His Church, and He is calling to you in the Eucharist. And if Christ is for you, who can be against you?

I don’t know if you realize this, but you really answered your own question: where else will you go? You are like Peter answering Jesus’ question of leaving Him over doubts about His Real Presence in the Eucharist in John 6:66-69. The Catholic Church is the bride of Christ. You may not understand everything right now (and no one ever does), but you know that you will find Jesus intimately united to His Church.

I have 2 suggestions for you. One is to embrace your RCIA experience. You would not be there had the Holy Spirit not given you the courage to even inquire or sign up. It is a wonderful time of inquiry and study. Ask tons of questions, and realize that you are dealing with a Church that is 2,000 years old and can answer any question you can throw at her.

The second suggestion is to focus on Jesus in the Eucharist. Have an unquenchable desire to receive His Real Presence. Though my life may be in chaos, it is the reception of the Eucharist that reassures me that everything will be okay. It is an experience that truly is unexplainable.

May God bless you abundantly on your journey to the fullness of the faith. You are in my prayers.

thats not where my nerves and doubts sem. ive been going to Mass for a long time, and I truly love Jesus in the Eucharist. and i feel like falling apart when im the only one at Mass who cant receive, when i want to soo desperatley. i want to recieve the sacrement of reconciliation, and to come to love God more and more, im just full of doubts and despair

i have dealt with spiritual warfare twice before. i used to deal with occult practices, and cut myslef, depression, and then months ago my head was continuosly filled with blasphemous thought (even in my dreams) i recovered from both of these and now this…pray for me

Maegan…when you want to have courage…does God instantly zap you and you suddenly have courage? Or does He give you the chance to act and be courageous so that you do indeed become courageous?

When you want to feel God’s presence, does He instantly make Himself felt? Or will He give you the chance for you to feel His presence and grow in faith?

When you have doubts and despair…God is giving you the oppurtunity to give offer Him your doubts and despair…to seek Him more…to seek His help…to humble yourself. He is testing you…He is testing your humility, your perseverance…so that when you do persevere and you finally are able to receive the Eucharist…it will worth it…and you will appreciate and love Him the more.

So…continue praying and asking the help of the saints, especially the BVM.:thumbsup:

Be reassured that just as God got you through your previous battles, He will see you safely through this one. But you also must understand that it may be a long battle; the devil is going to fight you tooth and nail to the bitter end. But, like pablope said, when you persevere to the end and you get to receive Jesus in the Eucharist, it will be worth it.

I’m not sure if you know this prayer yet, but it’s a good one for somebody involved in spiritual warfare (we all are, actually, but some are in more intense battles right now than others):

St. Michael the Archangel Prayer:

St. Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou,
O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan,
and all the evil spirits,
who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

You can be assured of my prayers.

How could you not be called to be a member of the church of Christ??? :shrug:

Consider a few quotes of our Lord and of His apostles:

thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven.

they will hear My voice; and they will become one flock with one shepherd.

[God] put all things under [Christ’s] feet and gave him as head over all things to the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all.

Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body

A house divided against itself cannot stand.

that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you.

Finally, we know without the possibility of error that:

This Church constituted and organized in the world as a society, subsists in the Catholic Church, which is governed by the successor of Peter and by the Bishops in communion with him

You may want to read this section of the Catechism to find out more. “To join the Church is the fulfillment of the Christian vocation” (2030).

Furthermore, the entire Article 9 of the Catechism goes over this item of the ancient Profession of Faith - over 1700 years old: “I believe in One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church”. You may go here and scroll down until Article 9…look at how much there is to find out about the Holy Church!

I salute you with my humble prayers through the intercession of St. Francis, and with the words of a few great theologians and outstanding Christians:

Keep close to the Catholic Church at all times, for the Church alone can give you true peace, since she alone possesses Jesus, the true Prince of Peace, in the Blessed Sacrament.” St. Padre Pio

There is but one Church in which men find salvation, just as outside the ark of Noah it was not possible for anyone to be saved.” St. Thomas Aquinas

I will go peaceably and firmly to the Catholic Church: for if Faith is so important to our salvation, I will seek it where true Faith first began, seek it among those who received it from God Himself.” St. Elizabeth Ann Seton

thank you for all the reply (continue to respond please) pray for me. pray for me. pray for me.

Dear Maegan,

May our holy and Blessed Mother wrap you in her protective mantle, and present you to Jesus her Son.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. Blessed and praised forevermore be Jesus Who has saved us by His Precxious Blood!

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed by thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen!

Prayer to defeat the work of satan:

O Divine Eternal Father, in union with your Divine Son and the Holy Spirit, and through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I beg You to destroy the Power of your greatest enemy - the evil spirits. Cast them into the deepest recesses of hell and chain them there forever! Take possession of your Kingdom which You have created and which is rightfully yours.

Heavenly Father, give us the reign of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

I repeat this prayer out of pure love for You with every beat of my heart and with every breath I take. Amen.

O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!

If you believe everything the Catholic Church teaches than it sounds like you are called to be Catholic.

I have been thinking on it. I just started St. Faustinas diary. The grace that flows from this book is immense. It really hits the wall of your soul. God really speaks to me through it. I will continue to discern His holy will. And I truly think (as He sheds His Light upon me) that I might be called to become Catholic. But i have still have a lot of angst. WHen st faustina almost left the convent she saw the face of Jesus covered with wounds and He was crying. She asked Him why. He said she has casued Him pain by alomst leaving. This really spoke to me.

My Father was conservative catholic, Mother lutheran, sister Dalia Lama, other sister liberal catholic, brother Christian non-denomination.

There is dayswhen you are convinced catholicism is your path and other days that is challenged,

thank you :))) may our Blessed Mother help me. O’ Mary conceived without sin pray for us who have recourse to thee! Most sorrowful Mother pray for me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.