Meaning of name, COJCOLDS

1. The long-winded name baffles me as to its meaning.

Is it the Church of Jesus Christ, and also the Church of Latter Day Saints?
Or the Church of Jesus Christ, who happens to be one of the Latter Day Saints?

I guess my question boils down to what does the second “of” mean?

1. Does the name in some way distinguish it from other Mormon denominations, for whom the name would be incorrect doctrinally, or maybe correct but with the wrong emphasis? Or could the name apply to nearly all the Mormon groups, but just happens to be associated with the mainstream Church in SLC?

[quote=Digitonomy]1. The long-winded name baffles me as to its meaning.

Is it the Church of Jesus Christ, and also the Church of Latter Day Saints?
Or the Church of Jesus Christ, who happens to be one of the Latter Day Saints?

I guess my question boils down to what does the second “of” mean?

1. Does the name in some way distinguish it from other Mormon denominations, for whom the name would be incorrect doctrinally, or maybe correct but with the wrong emphasis? Or could the name apply to nearly all the Mormon groups, but just happens to be associated with the mainstream Church in SLC?
    [/quote]

Well, you have it right but seperated :smiley:

It’s Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints :slight_smile: Quite a mouthful, so most members either just say “LDS” or “Mormon”. :smiley:

The only splinter groups that are not associated with Salt Lake are the Reform Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (RLDS) and the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (FLDS).

God Bless

{Edited to add}

Oops, after re-reading your post I realize that I misunderstood your question.

Yes, it’s both the church of Jesus Christ and the church of Latter Day Saints. :slight_smile: I guess it should have a semicolon, Church of Jesus Christ; of Latter Day Saints. :slight_smile:

[quote=Jo’s_Dad]Well, you have it right but seperated :smiley:

It’s Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints :slight_smile: Quite a mouthful, so most members either just say “LDS” or “Mormon”. :smiley:

The only splinter groups that are not associated with Salt Lake are the Reform Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (RLDS) and the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (FLDS).

God Bless
[/quote]

It is understood by Mormons as being:

The Church established by Jesus Christ, populated by Saints in these Latter Days! (Using the term 'saint in the Biblical sense of any saved person, living or dead).

The ‘Reform’ Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is misnamed: it was originally called the REORGANISED Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.Nowadays it goes by the name Communities of Christ.

There are DOZENS of splinter groups from the LDS Church: some use a variation of the Salt Lake Church name, some don’t.The ‘Fundamentalist’ group, by the way, still practices polygamy, one of several small groups which do so.

Flameburns is correct. I might also add that the Book of Mormon tells us Christ’s church should carry his name:

7 Therefore, whatsoever ye shall do, ye shall do it in my name; therefore ye shall call the church in my name; and ye shall call upon the Father in my name that he will bless the church for my sake.
8 And how be it my church save it be called in my name? For if a church be called in Moses’ name then it be Moses’ church; or if it be called in the name of a man then it be the church of a man; but if it be called in my name then it is my church, if it so be that they are built upon my gospel.

(Book of Mormon | 3 Nephi 27:7 - 8)

And a revelation received in 1838 (D&C Section 115) states that the church as “restored” through Joseph Smith should carry the name: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - “Latter-day Saints” being included in the title to distinguish it from the church Jesus established during his mortal ministry.

Sorry about that, I get those two words mixed up.

I honestly didn’t know there were more splinter groups out there. I only knew about Reorganised and Fundamentalist.

Thanks for the catch :thumbsup:

God Bless

There are tons of mormon denominations, some are very strange…

Thanks for the replies.

Just to be positive about the first question, am I correct to think it would be wrong to refer to Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? He’s not one of the Latter Day Saints, is he?

And as for my second question, would any of the splinter groups have a problem with the name Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? Considering that the 1838 date mentioned by Casen predates any of the splinter groups mentioned by that Wikipedia link… Nonetheless, several of the groups use names that don’t even mention LDS, such as New Covenant Church of God, Community of Christ, or Church of Christ. Do these groups reject the Doctrine and Covenants, or just find this passage to be passe?

[quote=Digitonomy]Thanks for the replies.

Just to be positive about the first question, am I correct to think it would be wrong to refer to Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? He’s not one of the Latter Day Saints, is he?

And as for my second question, would any of the splinter groups have a problem with the name Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? Considering that the 1838 date mentioned by Casen predates any of the splinter groups mentioned by that Wikipedia link… Nonetheless, several of the groups use names that don’t even mention LDS, such as New Covenant Church of God, Community of Christ, or Church of Christ. Do these groups reject the Doctrine and Covenants, or just find this passage to be passe?
[/quote]

I would say that the splinter groups are like the splinter groups of the Catholic Church. They have their own spin on things and believe parts of the whole truth. They are not LDS any more than Presbyterian is Catholic, or Lutheran is Catholic. They have no attachment at all to LDS and are entirely separate churches. I don’t know what they believe or which scriptures they follow. Maybe Casen or TomNosser knows the answer.
Jesus Christ is the same Jesus Christ that you believe in. The church is named after him, because he is the head of it. His teachings are what we follow. He is who we worship. So the church is called The Church of Jesus Christ after the leader of our church. Latter Day is to distinguish it from the original Church of Jesus Christ established by Jesus Christ when he was on earth in Biblical times. Saints are anyone who follows Jesus Christ That is how I understand it. BJ

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.