Meaning of the Color of Priests' Robe

Can someone pls explain to me the meaning of the different color of priests’ robe. I understand purple is usually worn during Advent and Lent and red during wedding or Xmas; green for ordinary and gold for ???

Thanks!

Red for martyrs.

Gold/Yellow with White for Holy Days, Christmas and Easter.
Red for Pentecost - blood of martrys - Maundy Thursday and Palm Sunday
Black - used on Good Friday and Holy Saturday
Pink/Rose - 3rd or 4th Sunday in Advent
Violet/Purple - symbolize pain, suffering, penance - Season of Lent.

A good Catholic Calendar will tell what colors on used on that day.

What is this “Xmas” you speak of? I know of no such feast…

What about a green robe?

The “robe” is the alb, which is always white. The Stole, Chasuble or Dalmatic are vestments worn over the alb which may be colored as others here have indicated. Green indicates Ordinary Time. Additionally, blue is sometimes worn for Feasts in honor of our Lady or votive Masses in honor of our Lady celebrated on Saturdays in Ordinary Time when permitted.

No Ordinary time in the old Rite, only Sundays after Pentecost.

The X is the first letter of the word Xtos (ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ) or Christos.

Interesting…

Honestly didnt know that. Though I will still wonder about intent when considering the usage of the word ‘Xmas’.

Well, it least it has Christian antecedents, unlike “Chrishanukwansa” or whatever some people are suggesting we call the “Winter Holiday” these days. :rolleyes:

<<What is this “Xmas” you speak of? I know of no such feast…>>

Get over yourself. X is the first letter of the Greek word XPICTOC, the Greek spelling of “Christ”, and is commonly used in abbreviations such as “Xn” for Christian, and (deal with it!) “X’mas” for Christmas.

It was an abbreviation that St. Elizabeth of Moscow did not hesitate to use, and was NOT considered sacreligious.

Many thanks for all your contribution!

well I have never been to a wedding where red vestments were worn, as OP has, but that explains a lot.

the color of the vestment corresponds to the liturgical season or feast
green for ordinary time
purple for Advent and Lent, with rose on the 3rd Sunday of advent and 4th Sunday of Lent, because the introductory prayer for those Sundays begins with Latin words meaning “rejoice” so the penitential color of purple is lightened a bit. The advent vestments can be a less deep shade than the Lenten ones.
Red for the Passion, for martyrs, and for Pentecost for the Holy Spirit
White for great feasts and solemnities, Christmas, Easter etc.

black used to be used for funerals and it is still permitted in some places

light blue is permitted in some places for Marian feasts.

Lest anyone get the wrong idea about “Ordinary” time, it doesn’t mean normal, customary, regular, or anything like that. It means the days, excluding the seasons of Advent, Christmas, Lent, Easter, etc., are counted, in a certain order.

Remember that ordinal numbers refer to those used for counting (1, 2, 3, 4…)

In that sense, Ordinary time is the same kind of idea as “Sundays after Pentecost”. The beginning and ending points are just different.

The part about wearing green is the same…

also the chalice veil will conform the to correct color if your pasrish uses that like ours does.

The universal norm is that black is permitted for funerals, it’s not a local exception.

just dug out this thread out of the archives as i had question about vestment colours

If you have ever seen the Chi-Rho ( it looks like a combination of P and X)

That, or just Chi were used in manuscripts to denote Christ.

IHS was the equivalent denotion for 'Jesus"

It saved time, ink and space at the times when Bibles were hand copied.

Both are viewed as terms of respect for the Son of God.

So 'Xmas" is a shorthand honorific for Christmas

It was also used to replace Chris or Cros in other words when I was learning Morse Code…a lot faster than coding out the entire list of 4+ letters. Back when I had a Xtal radio set and was making flat pennies near the railroad Xing.

Xtal = crystal midnightscience.com/kits.html = Xtal Set Society, Inc
Xing = crossing
-…- rather than -.-. .-. — … …

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.