Meatless Friday's

Are Catholics still required to abstain from meat on Friday’s? Some have said that the church has done away with this practice. My grandparents have said that they always ate fish on Friday’s when they were young but that the church no longer requires this.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Please use the search function - there are a zillion discussions on this already.

Just do a search for “meat on fridays” and you will get a huge amout of assistance.

:smiley:
~Liza

The only required meatless days in the US are Ash Wednesday, the Fridays of Lent, and Good Friday.

You are allowed to eat meat on any other Friday, but are to do some sort of chartitable/penitential deed.

Hope this helps!

Only if the local Bishop has granted that option. Otherwise Friday abstinence from meat is still required.

~Liza

I have always abstained from meat on Fridays, being a cradle traditional Catholic. (Grew up SSPX)

My priest (FSSP) says that I can do charitable works in lieu of abstaining. I still abstain, but I try to be charitable every day.

Honestly, it’s is not a big deal to abstain, anyway. It has never been BAD to do so, let me say that. For me, it keeps Good Friday and Calvary in the front of my mind, and I love it for that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.