Medal Devotions-How do they work?

I’ve noticed that people often wear medals as a form of devotion, usually to Our Lady. Are there prayers associated with these? How do they work? Are they just like wearing a cross?
Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Same thing applies, you can wear them in place of a crucifix. I believe there are prayers associated with the Miraculous Medal but I’ve not known of other Marian medals.

Here is a site with some devotions to Mary.
catholictradition.org/Mary/prayers7.htm

There is the Brown Scapular which is worn in honor of Mary. This one comes from the Carmelites, and one shares in some way the prayers of those in the Carmelite Order.

There is the Miraculous Medal which is a medal designed by Mary herself. She appeared to St. Catherine Laboure and asked her to distribute it. Mary promised great and abundant graces to those who wore the medal. The medal has a picture of Mary entitled Our Lady of Grace. Anyone may wear it.

There is a medal of Our Lady of Perpetual Help which dates back a number of centuries and seems to have many blessings attached to it.

There is also a medal of St. Benedict, which has a very old history of being powerful.

The medal of St. Michael is also a medal invoking St. Michael the Archangel for protection, which is a favorite of many.

And there is a Green Scapular of Mary’s, which honors her immaculate heart and is one that is used for greater faith, strengthening faith, or receiving faith.

And of course there is a medal for just about any saint you can name, like St. Patrick, St. Agnes, St. Peter, St. Francis, St. Teresa, and so on.

If you want to know more about them, just put the name of the medal on your search line, like “St Francis medal”.

A medal is usually worn on a chain around the neck but could also be carried in the wallet or purse. Use a safety pin to pin it over the visor of a car if you like. Or pin one to the baby or in its crib.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

I wear a pretty unique medal. It has St. Thomas Aquinas being girded by angels on one side, and on the other it has our Lady of the Rosary. It is to signify that I am a part of the Angelic Warfare Confraternity; and was blessed by a Dominican priest. I was enrolled in the Confraternity when I was still in the convent as a Dominican.

You can find more information about it here: angelicwarfareconfraternity.org/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.