Media Blame Donald Trump for Man’s Death After Ingesting Fish Tank Cleaner

Media Blame Donald Trump for Man’s Death After Ingesting Fish Tank Cleaner

Trump koi (Jim Watson / AFP / Getty)

Jim Watson / AFP / Getty

JOEL B. POLLAK

24 Mar 2020

The media rushed to blame President Donald Trump on Monday for the death of an Arizona man who ingested a form of chloroquine — before it turned out that the man had ingested a fish tank cleaner with a similar chemical.

Reuters reported:

An Arizona man has died and his wife is in critical condition after they ingested chloroquine phosphate – an aquarium cleaning product similar to drugs that have been named by President Trump as potential treatments for coronavirus infection.

The couple, in their 60s, experienced immediate distress after swallowing the drug, an additive used at aquariums to clean fish tanks, according to Banner Health Hospital in Phoenix.

Chloroquine phosphate shares the same active ingredient as malaria drugs that President Trump has touted as possibly effective against COVID-19, the potentially life-threatening disease caused by the coronavirus.

Many media outlets, however, reported that the man died after taking “chloroquine.”

Axios, for example, had to delete a tweet and issue a correction after reporting, initially: “Man dies after self-medicating with chloroquine.” . . . .

. . . BuzzFeed reported: “A Man Died After Self-Medicating With A Drug Trump Promoted As A Potential Treatment For The Coronavirus.”

The text described “a drug meant for aquariums” without distinguishing between a product sold for fish tanks and a product for humans prepared by a pharmacist and supplied with a medical prescription. . . .

. . . On Monday, he praised New York Governor Andrew Cuomo for launching clinical trials of the experimental medication regimen. Trump spoke specifically about “the hydroxychloroquine and the Z-Pak,” the latter another name for azithromycin. . . .

A few years ago people (not media but a few thoughtless people) were blaming Malia Obama for starting a fad of eating Tide Pods that resulted in deaths.

How much WORSE when the supposedly “responsibleMEDIA puts out trash like this?

This attempting to blame “Trump” for a fool that ate fish bowl cleaner stems from their Trump Derangement Syndrome.

It is just not clear thinking by those leftists.

Don’t fall for this shenanigans.

Edit: Hat tip to @drcube for bringing this issue that needed its own thread to my attention.

2 Likes

. . . “BuzzFeed reported: “A Man Died After Self-Medicating With A Drug Trump Promoted As A Potential Treatment For The Coronavirus.”” . . .

This is the same Buzzfeed that got the leftists in a frenzy nationally with their
two (fake) Cohen “Bombshells”
that naturally turned out to be false.

That was back when the leftist media outlets
were feeding their followers
with nightly FAKE NEWS
over their made-up Trump-Russian-Collusion fantasy
that they fed their media consumers with nightly
for almost three years.

Then they sat around and carped about
Breitbart and Fox,
who called the Russian collusion hoax accurately
from the beginning.

Shameless and blind media.

1 Like

Didn’t I post this yesterday in one of your threads?

Why the need for another thread?

I begin a lot of threads because of what one poster says.

But . . .

Hat tip to @drcube for bringing this issue that needed its own thread to my attention.

Of course they blame him,big surprise.Nevermind that this couple disregarded the poison warning on the package,not to mention that they even considered this in the first place.:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Well, the reason they considered it is because Trump said cholorquine would work. They didn’t try it on a whim. The media pointing this out is not being irresponsible is stated they got the idea from Trump, even if the execution of the idea was deadly.

drcube . . .

The media pointing this out is not being irresponsible is stated they got the idea from Trump, even if the execution of the idea was deadly.

How do you know they got the idea from “Trump”?

There were lots of places this was reported?

And why is it “Trump’s” fault but not the media’s?

And is it “Trump’s” save too when someone gets the idea from “Trump” and brings it up to their physician
(who has never heard of this because he has been so overworked lately not just with all the sick, but with all the “well” who are now demanding “tests” even though they feel fine)
and gets better?

Are those “saves” Trump’s too?

Or it just when somebody does something stupid? THEN it’s “Trump’s fault”?

4 Likes

Rhetorical questions I assume.:relieved:

2 Likes

I recall a couple years or so ago some of the leftists in society blaming “Trump” for a hurricane.

I kid you not.

This was not rational thinking.

1 Like

Trump Derangement Syndrome is an epidemic in and of itself

5 Likes

Because Trump talked about it as a possible cure and they digested it. Do you think they just randomly thought that digesting chloroquine was a good idea out of no where?

Yep.

Trump is the President and they reported what he said.

If it becomes the recommendation of the medical community, then there is nothing wrong with Trump touting it because those who ask their physicians will know that the physicians can follow tested science.

Saves?

It’s their fault for being stupid and not understanding what they were ingesting and I haven’t suggested otherwise. That said, the media is not blaming Trump, but stating that Trump was talking about chloroquine as a possible cure when they report on this article.

Not at all, but very long winded and could be narrowed done considerably (especially for someone that refuses to answer other’s questions).

Are you sure it wasn’t the horrible federal government response to the hurricane? Or were they the type that believes that a hurricane or a pandemic is God’s punishment?

So is sticking your head in the sand and passing on right wing propaganda and falsehoods. Not suggesting you do that though, just stating that it happens.

I rest my case.

3 Likes

What was your case?

1 Like

I just read a Babylon Bee article in this vein:

2 Likes

Because they said so?

The man’s wife told NBC News she’d watched televised briefings during which President Trump talked about the potential benefits of chloroquine.
I saw it sitting on the back shelf and thought, 'Hey, isn’t that the stuff they’re talking about on TV?

JapaneseKappa. Your own artticle talks about the wife saying that they were talking about it on TV too.
("'Hey, isn’t that the stuff they’re talking about on TV?")

So is this TV’s fault too?

Why can’t they just take responsibility themselves (the wife now specifically) for drinking fish bowl cleaner?

Here is from your own article . . . .

The man’s wife told NBC News she’d watched televised briefings during which President Trump talked about the potential benefits of chloroquine. Even though no drugs are approved to prevent or treat COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, some early research suggests it may be useful as a therapy.

This was NOT from your article . . . .

Warning! This again is NOT what was said . . .

The man’s wife told NBC News she’d watched televised briefings during which
President Trump talked about the potential benefits of fish bowl cleaner.
And since he suggested taking it we did!

JapaneseKappa. I am very disappointed in you here.

1 Like

I mean, it was pretty clear if you thought about it at all. Here:

“Trump kept saying it was basically pretty much a cure,” the woman told NBC.
She said her advice would be: “Don’t take anything. Don’t believe anything. Don’t believe anything that the president says and his people … call your doctor.”

JapaneseKappa. Except that he didn’t say what you are trying to get him to say.

1 Like

That is this woman’s interpretation of what President Trump said.She heard what she wanted to hear that’s not what he said. Again I question the judgement of anyone who would ingest something used to clean fish tanks. :flushed:

7 Likes

Who are you talking about? Trump or the man who died?

Well, let’s see what he said

“HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE & AZITHROMYCIN, taken together, have a real chance to be one of the biggest game changers in the history of medicine. The FDA has moved mountains - Thank You! Hopefully they will BOTH (H works better with A, International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents)… …be put in use IMMEDIATELY. PEOPLE ARE DYING, MOVE FAST, and GOD BLESS EVERYONE!”

Well, I guess if you were scared enough and had enough faith in Trump, maybe you would take it.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.