Medical ethical dilemna

Hi all,

So this concern has been on my mind for a while, I like to see what y’all think about it. I am going to medical school currently and the folks in my school against there better judgement will soon let me loose into the world to run a practice. Let’s say that one day, a college girl comes into my office one day crying. When I ask about her about it, she tearfully states that she was raped last night by an unknown assailant and is too ashamed to report it. When I do the pelvic examination, there is clear evidence of some recent sexual trauma. After giving her some prophylactic medication and sending off some blood culture and semen samples, she meekly asks me about the morning after pill that’s now OTC.

What are my duties to her and would it be a violation of my Catholic principles to support her decision to seek a prophylactic anti-fertilization medication?

thanks!

If you are indeed so close to graduation, I am surprised you have not yet joined the Catholic Medical Association or Doctors for Life, both of whom provide professional support and education for Catholic doctors.

The National Catholic Bioethics Center can give guidance to professionals inquiring on such topics.

Additionally, you should familiarize yourself with Vatican documents for physicians and nurses on life issues.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.