Medical Marijuana

What would the Catholic stance be on medical marijuana? People who are prescribed the drug to treat conditions that a qualified doctor deems appropriate. It is legal on a state level (in some states) but not federally at this point.

Would this be a conscience call or is there an “official” Catholic response to this?

Thanks!

I just saw that someone said there were postings on this in the archives. Where are the achives??

First, if there is some medical benefit to smoking marijuana, then it should not be sold in anything called a “dispensary.” It, like all other restricted medicines, should be sold in a drug store. Safe, convenient and monitored, along with other restricted drugs.

Here is a general commentary regarding “soft” drugs from the Pontifical Council for the Family (1997).

ewtn.com/library/CURIA/PCFDRUGS.HTM

And what the Vatican pharmacy is doing:

catholicculture.org/news/features/index.cfm?recnum=18206

God bless,
Ed

Medical marijuana is also used to enhance the appetite of cancer patients undergoing toxic chemotherapy – when absolutely nothing else works. (I work with oncology patients who derive benefit from these prescriptions.)

It’s amazing that marijuana is an accepted, naturally-occurring substance that has proven medical benefits. How compassionate of the Vatican. I wonder what their position is on aspirin.

Medical MJ is a euphemism here in California.

The canard that it helps cancer patients eat, cannot justify the 72 MJ retail stores, with several dozen types of MJ for sale, in the Sacramneto area alone. They are doing a brisk business. There just isn’t that many cancer patients who cannot eat in Sacramento to support 72 stores.

Doctors motivated by MONEY write a script for MMJ for anybody claiming nearly any ‘problem.’ Hey, it is a quick buck for these doctors. For them, integrity is idiocy.

Please actually read the first link in EdWest’s post above.

My father and sister are both physicians, and are both very much against it.

First of all, the delivery mechanism is all wrong. Doctors are not supposed to be ENCOURAGING smoking :eek:

All the active ingredients in marijuana are available in tablet form, without having to introduce smoke into the lungs.

So no, it is not something we should support.

The tablet form, called Marinol, is supposedly too expensive for some.

However, growers are told they can make the following:

"Total sales per year 118,000
"Less annual cost of electricity 3,000
“Net profit per year 115,000”

It’s usually about the money. Quick and easy has always motivated people, however, smoking a marijuana cigarette is still smoking. Your lungs don’t want that stuff in there.

God bless,
Ed

from the Pontifical Council for the Family (1997),

1. Thus in ensuring the common good, the State also has the task of watching over the citizens’ well-being.

That’s not a good idea in general, at least in the USA.

Oh it’s a very good idea for the United States. The Declaration of Independence tells us that among the jobs of the government includes “to promote the general welfare.”

God bless,
Ed

“Promote the general welfare” isn’t mentioned in the Declaration of Independence.

It appears in the preamble to the constitution, but the preamble itself doesn’t grant powers to the federal government. The general welfare part of the tax and spend clause in the constitution isn’t to be read as an independent and general grant of federal authority – you’ll want to look at Article I Sec. 8 – congress’s powers are specific, not general.

In the Founder’s day, this meant “to get out of the way of people doing for themselves.” Now days, it means that people look to the government for succor and nurturing. Notice it says “general” welfare, not giving benefits to individuals.

Thank you for the correction and reference. I appreciate it.

My point still stands. Penalties for driving drunk have increased. In Michigan, the police have already stated that they will be using a device to detect marijuana use. The general welfare means fewer dead people on the highways. It’s working with drunk driving enforcement and will work with marijuana as well. If marijuana is a legitimate drug, it needs to be sold in drug stores and not dispensaries.

God bless,
Ed

But other than the fiat of the legislature, what makes a drug legitimate?

Every joint should be sold with a bag of Oreos and a quart of milk. Then the people will stay home and watch TV and not cause any trouble.

The ideal is to encourage people to smoke pot instead of drinking booze so they don’t participate in the more dangerous behavior that results from drinking.

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/31/AR2010103103887.html

Peace

More soma!!!

“I don’t understand anything,” she said with decision, determined to preserve her incomprehension intact. “Nothing. Least of all,” she continued in another tone “why you don’t take soma when you have these dreadful ideas of yours. You’d forget all about them. And instead of feeling miserable, you’d be jolly. So jolly.” - Aldous Huxley

:eek:

This is great! Nobody needs to drive stoned or drunk. A lot of people have been weary of marijuana legalization simply because of how police would detect marijuana ( I take it active THC ) in a person’s system. Could you post a link that explains this device? .

Sorry. No further details have been published.

God bless,
Ed

It is called a COASD and is a device that measures autonomic responses responses to stimuli and enzymatic functioning.

Peace

Yes, it is available in tablet form but this causes many other side effects ie paranoia, depression, and a come down (detox) not associated with the inhalation of THC. MJ is clearly a seed bearing plant so I don’t know why the Church is more opposed to burning a creation of God rather than taking a pill made in a lab that came from the plant. We have used other plants all throughout history for medicinal purposes, I just think many choose not to look past the stigma that surrounds MJ as a plant/drug.
1 Timothy 4
1Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

2Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

3Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

4For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

5For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer

Just my thoughts on this.

“medical marijuana”…what a joke. Intelligent spources say its a big scam. Read about the drug…it should NOT be legal and there are legal drugs like marinol that has THC in it and can be prescribed…Dont buy the scam !!!
livebreatheanddie.com/2010/10/pothead-ploy/
nida.nih.gov/infofacts/marijuana.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.