Medieval Canon Law in Spanish

Recently I discovered that there is no english translation of the bodies of canon law prior to the 1917 Code. Is there any place that I can get Gratian's Decretals, the Corpus Iuris Canonici, or something of the like in Spanish? I am not expecting an affirmative answer, but anything helps.:popcorn:

Italian and Spanish are the closest modern languages to Latin. So, why not get the Canon in the original Latin? If you are fluent in Spanish, you should not find it too difficult to translate or understand. Just get a good Latin-Spanish dictionary. You should be able to find a used one on line. You might try to find such a dictionary at addall.com - you might even find the Canon there too.

I was thinking about just getting the Latin, but I am not 100% sure. The main thing stopping me is the verbs and their conjugations. I think that the main conjugation that I would have to learn well would be imperative, but that is just a guess. By the way, thanks for the reply! I didn’t think anyone would respond.:thumbsup:

Why are you inquiring?

Hello,

I doubt it. But, you may want to get in touch with the University of Navarra’s faculty of canon law. They’re pretty much the cream of the crop as far as Spanish language canon law/lawyers and if anyone would know about translations of those sources, someone there would.

unav.edu/web/facultad-de-derecho-canonico

Dan

There was no universal code of canon law prior to 1917.

History is fun, and I wanted to see how canon law has changed from then until now.:whacky:

They may not have been universal, but canon law collections did exist. An example is the Decretals of Pope Gregory IX.

Prior to 1917, there were certain volumized collections of Canon Law called the Fontes in Latin, but there was no unified code until 1917.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.