Mediums

Why is it, or is it, wrong to speak with physics and mediums. They apparently have unique gifts in speaking with the dead at times. How are they differently from a regular Catholic who gets visits from souls in Purgatory?

In answer to your first question, the Catechism of the Catholic Church states

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone. Source: usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catechism/catechism-of-the-catholic-church/epub/index.cfm#

With regard to your question about how this differs from “a regular Catholic who gets visits from souls in Purgatory” in the absence of details and not being sure what you mean by “a regular Catholic” I can only speculate. There are accounts of Saints (I can only think of St Faustina) who did not seek (and probably did not want) a vision of a soul in Purgatory. It wasn’t a dialogue but a message and as far as I am aware this is what the Church defines as a personal revelation. If a Catholic says they are being contacted by souls in Purgatory, personally I would expect them to seek spiritual guidance from a priest and not broadcast it to avoid leading souls astray or in case the spiritual direction reveals that they are being deceived by satan.

As for mediums having a gift, maybe they do, but who gave them the gift? It wouldn’t be God as souls in Purgatory are in His care on their journey to eternal life with Him. The few times I came across mediums on TV (when I was astray) I noticed how clever they were with words, researching their potential clients, reading body language and almost asking questions. Members of the audience (assuming they weren’t decoys) were so desperate, they gave all the information the medium needed e.g. I have a message from John (one of the most common names) he wants to pass a message on, did he die in a car accident, or no… a hospital? err at home? Right at home. Okay, John wants you to know he felt no pain at the end, is very happy and oh he is gone. Come see me after the show for a private reading (at an increasing cost).

Just like the internationally acclaimed “medium”, Sylvia Browne, who told Amanda Berry’s family that she was dead, several years before she was found alive in that guys basement, I think the vast majority are clear fraud’s.

I had the same question until a few months ago because I also viewed these things as harmless. However, there are warning passages in the Bible (see Deutoronomy below) that forbid contacting the deceased and trying to foretell the future through psychics and mediums. I suppose it is the sin of pride and/or idolatry by wanting control over the future from sources other than God. Also, when we contact the dead through evil sources, we are allowing a foothold for demonic oppression and possibly possession. I’ve been reading some true accounts of exorcists and many say that people were first oppressed/possessed when they sought a tarot card reading or played with a Ouija board. Scary results for a seemingly “harmless” activity!

Also, psychics and mediums don’t usually operate for free. Even though the TV medium Teresa Caputo does some spontaneous “readings” while running errands, she probably makes a lot of money on the people that witness her “readings” and free self-promotions. I used to think it was uplifting to watch John Edwards Crossing Over but I don’t watch those shows anymore because have you ever noticed that EVERYONE on the other side is ALWAYS okay? The medium never says, “John says to please tell my family I love them but I’m in hell.” It seems rather suspicious to me that, despite some of the deceased persons living tragic lives (drugs/suicide/murder), they are all in heaven. Not saying that they couldn’t have had a last-minute conversion, but it seems rather convenient to lull us all into a false sense of security that we can live any way we like and all go to heaven. Now who would want us to believe that? Hint: It isn’t God! I have a hard time believing that EVERYONE is okay and nobody is in hell.

Rather than seeking to contact the dead, we should pray for them.

Deuteronomy 18:10-12
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For whoever does these things is detestable to the Lord; and because of these detestable things the Lord your God will drive them out before you.

Peace,
Lisa

As for those who receive visits from Purgatory, as far as I know, those visits are NEVER solicited nor wanted by the person. Also, people who receive those kinds of visits usually have spiritual advisors who advise the person to test those spirits by asking them to praise the name of Jesus. If the spirit can’t say the name of God, Jesus or Mary, they are not holy spirits. Even strong demonic spirits can only say the holy names of God, Jesus and Mary followed by a string of blasphemies.

As a side note, an excellent book I read recently about such visits is “Hungry Souls - Supernatural Visits, Messages and Warnings from Purgatory.” I highly recommend it if you are interested in purgatory.

Because they are messing with the occult trying to communicate with the dead…where as catholics pray for the souls on purgatory, and if a soul did appear to a saint it certainly didnt start predicting the future and telling fortunes

I will start out by saying this happened years ago and when this happened I was not Catholic or even remotely interested in the faith. I’m still not Catholic but I’m starting RCIA this fall and am greatly looking forward to learning all about it and converting. I’m already reading The Catechism every night. And I have lots of books of prayers, saints, etc.

I saw a medium shortly after my best friend and love of my life died suddenly. I found the medium online and it was a phone session for 25 minutes for $65.00. I was desperate to communicate with him. We never even got to say good-bye.

Anyway the medium said he communicates with the dead by watching what they say or do on a screen like at the movies. Then he asked me the name of the person I wanted to communicate with and I told him his name was David. So he started asking me who “Arthur” was. I don’t know an Arthur. Then he asked if I was planning on opening an Italian restaurant. I said no. He kept telling me that David was saying that I am opening an Italian restaurant. I kept saying no…never thought of it. The next thing he said was, “David likes your red rug” Um…I had just bought a brand new rug that day for my living room…and it was red. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up. He said David likes the bathing suits I just got. He said one has writing on it…I had just received two bathing suits in the mail that day that I had previously ordered and one had writing on it. Then the medium asked me if I live on “Grant” street or what “Grant” meant to me. Well…David and I were both avid U.S. presidential history buffs. Then the medium said that David was showing him an image of “Noah” from the T.V. show “E.R.” I used to watch ER now and then but I didn’t recall a character named Noah. However the next day I realized Noah was the name of the actor who played “Carter”. The medium said David knows all of my private codes…all of my computer passwords are his last name but I never told him. Then the medium started saying a list of names, “Sharon”, Taylor", “Dana”…these are all friends of mine from my childhood and I’m sure I didn’t mention names to David.

It went on for the 25 minutes and everything was accurate. He even knew that I was almost out of fish oil vitamins and told me to be sure to pick some up. The next day I realized what the Italian restaurant meant…a few days before I contacted the medium I made a GIGANTIC pot of spaghetti and filled 7 tupperware containers full and froze them to reheat later. Thee only thing I didn’t figure out was “Arthur”.

At the time I was glad I had the session because it gave me a sense of relief and helped me to heal. However afterwards I had an OVERWHELMING feeling that I had disturbed David and it really really bothered me. Even made me physically sick. Oh…and the medium predicted future trips I would take and future things that would happen…and that David would be with me during these trips. It was really creepy. Plus I was OBSESSING with everything. Some things were communicated via metaphors and I spent hours and hours trying to figure things out and I finally did. You get an MP3 recording of the session and I must have listened to it 50 times.

I wouldn’t do it again and I would not recommend it to anyone. The feeling of guilt of disturbing him is too much to handle. And it just felt “wrong”. 'The dead are in their place and we are in ours and the places are not mean’t to be combined. IMHO

Hi, This is what I think:

Catholics who get visits from souls in Purgatory, usually say that God has given them permission to make contact. (this is what I’ve noticed anyhow.)

Mediums who call up the dead are asking for a dead person’s presence. Now, there are lots of evil spirits who wander the world. The living are ‘amazed’ when the spirit of a dead friend or relative seems to know something that no one else could know, and by this they are convinced that it is actually that dead person speaking to them. Yet, by the very act of wandering the world, an evil spirit would also know ‘secret’ and ‘hidden’ things about a person, that supposedly only the spirit of the actual dead person would know. Yet, this is where the deception begins.

The Catholics who have been visited by a dead person are usually told something that confirms the Catholic faith: doctrines of Purgatory, Heaven and Hell. Visitations by those who have been called from the dead by mediums, usually say that they are well and there is nothing to fear in death. These ‘visitations’ negate sin, judgement, purgatory and hell and lead to a false sense of God’s justice.

Contacting a medium is a very grave matter in God’s eyes. In the Old Testament when Saul contacted the witch in order to speak to Samuel who had died, it was because of this act that God rejected Saul from continuing as King of Israel.

Truth comes from the scripture and by tradition. This is why the Church fully investigates so-called visitations from the dead, and only after close scrutiny are these visitations confirmed.

When a person goes against God’s will and uses a medium to contact the dead, it is more than likely the contact will be with a lying spirit, since to conjure the dead is against God’s will to begin with.

How does one explain Edgar Caycee though? I believe he was a very devout catholic, but he had incredible abilities!

Ive also heard from another physic online and have looked thru many of her ‘visions’ on her website and it is amazing what she can see, she does personal readings, but requires nothing from the person requesting, she does not charge for her services either, but due to this, she is usually backed up and she even states it may take a few days to get back to anyone asking.

Ive come to believe God just endows certain people with certain gifts and as long as they do not abuse it, its probably OK, otherwise, why else would these people even have abilities like this in the first place? I did not think Satan had the ability to grant any humans supernatural powers either, so if its not from God, then only one other being it can be from.

He was never a Catholic.

Ive come to believe God just endows certain people with certain gifts and as long as they do not abuse it, its probably OK, otherwise, why else would these people even have abilities like this in the first place? I did not think Satan had the ability to grant any humans supernatural powers either, so if its not from God, then only one other being it can be from.

I think you don’t know very much about Satan. And you’re heading into murky quicksand when you start getting entranced with psychics.

In addition to Nita’s excellent reply:

Deuteronomy Chapter 18 v9 to 14
When you come into the land which the LORD, your God, is giving you, you shall not learn to imitate the abominations of the nations there. Let there not be found among you anyone who causes their son or daughter to pass through the fire,* or practices divination, or is a soothsayer, augur, or sorcerer, or who casts spells, consults ghosts and spirits, or seeks oracles from the dead. Anyone who does such things is an abomination to the LORD, and because of such abominations the LORD, your God, is dispossessing them before you. You must be altogether sincere with the LORD, your God. Although these nations whom you are about to dispossess listen to their soothsayers and diviners, the LORD, your God, will not permit you to do so.
Source: usccb.org/bible/deuteronomy/18

Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC). In addition to paras 2116 and 2117 quoted in my earlier post the CCC also states:

2138 Superstition is a departure from the worship that we give to the true God. It is manifested in idolatry, as well as in various forms of divination and magic.
2139 Tempting God in words or deeds, sacrilege, and simony are sins of irreligion forbidden by the first commandment.
Source: usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catechism/catechism-of-the-catholic-church/epub/index.cfm#

We all have free will, so it is up to each one of us to decide to walk with God or reject Him. We might think something is harmless or okay, but if the Bible says it is wrong or dangerous, then either God is wrong or we are. My understanding is that no one has yet managed to prove God wrong but many people have discovered they were wrong through lack of understanding.

May God bless you.

Correction.

It was not because Saul consulted the Medium of Endor that God took from him being King of Israel. It was because Saul disobeyed God’s orders. Saul lost the kingdom because he did not kill everything as ordered in the war against the Amalekites. In his desperation, when the end for him was near, he consulted a medium who conjured up Samuel. Samuel only confirmed what he had already told him while he was living on earth, that because of his disobedience God was going to tear the kingdom from him and give it to David.

:thumbsup:
In his rebuke to Saul, Samuel says something rather interesting:
1 Sam 15:23 For rebellion is like the sin of divination,
and arrogance like the evil of idolatry.
Because you have rejected the word of the Lord,
he has rejected you as king.”
And it wasn’t long after after this rebellion that Saul participated in divination.

Hi,

I Googled ‘Edgar Caycee false prophecies’ and there seems to be quite a few of them.

There are also many people who are fascinated by Nostradamus and his prophecies. They especially mention his prophecy about ‘Hister’ and how he probably meant Hitler, (or a river), yet people still find this to be extraordinary. The Bible had a prophecy concerning the rebuilding of the temple: the scripture said that God would call someone named Cyrus to initiate the building. (Isaiah 44:28) The person’s name was exactly Cyrus, not a derivative.

The test of a true prophet is if the prophecies come true. (Deuteronomy 18:22) This would tend to lead us to stand back from prophecies and not get too involved or sucked in. The best advice is to do as Jesus said, ‘Watch and pray’.

I don’t think Satan can grant people supernatural powers either. But the power wouldn’t come from the person themselves, but through the various spirits who are ‘whispering’ to that person: be they spirits sent by God or spirits sent by the evil one. If the person isn’t closely following Jesus, then he/she could be easily deceived and think that they are getting their info from good spirits or even God himself.

I thought to quote 1 Sam 15:23 in my previous post, just in case this is what is causing the confusion. In disobeying God, he was rebelling and was arrogant, but he did this before asking the Witch of Endor to conjure up Samuel from the dead. He as king actually had a law that those who consulted mediums were to be punished. He broke his own law and went against the will of God when he consulted the medium. Saul did what he wanted once again, when he consulted the medium, but his fate had already been sealed.

I guess that’s what happens when you get old and try to quote something from ‘‘memory’’ instead of re-looking it up. I was getting the verses confused. THANKS!

Your’re welcome. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.