Medjugorje Messages/Secrets

I’ve been reading up on Medjugorje. I know that the vatican has not officially declared that the apparitions are real, but I’m going to ask this question on the basis that they are. I had been looking for something uplifting to raise my spirits and after reading about Medjugorje I think I’d love to go there.

My question is this:

Supposedly there are ten secrets that will be revealed to the seers. After that the apparitions will stop and there will be a physical sign for all the world to see.

There was supposed to be some kind of disaster sent from God as a punishment (7th secret I think) but this was averted by prayer and fasting. I know that the world is full of sinners and evil, but why would a loving God send such a punishment? I thought that Jesus had atonned for our sins?

I’m slightly freaked at the idea something really bad is going to happen once all secrets have been revealed, as there will be a call to conversion but not everyone will be saved.

The bishop of that diocese suppressed the apparitions, they have NOT be declared worthy of belief or free from doctrinal error.

According to forum rules we are not to discuss unapproved apparitions.

Let me suggest you meditate on the Divine Mercy, the Rosary, or another Catholic devotion approved by the Church.

Under Banned topics:

1. Promoting unapproved apparitions and revelations (those not approved by the Church for private or public devotion) or alleged private locutions

It says promoting unapproved apparitions. The way I read this, it means we can have a discussion about an unapproved apparition so long as we aren’t trying to proselytize others into accepting them as legitimate.

I didn’t realise it was against the rules and I’m sorry if my post has offended anybody.

Hi Lynsey,

I hope that you are doing well.

Medjugorje is certainly a very fascinating subject. That said, it is also a very controversial one. It is believed and disbelieved by good women and men. While there are certainly many good things that have came from this apparition, there are also areas that would warrent further investigation. For example, in the very early stages of this apparition, it mirrored many aspects of Garabandal (which itself in many ways mimiced Fatima). Did you know, for example, that originally there were only three secrets intended to be given, but as the popularity of Medjugorje grew, so did the amount of “secrets” If you study the things said at Garabandal with the idea of punishment, you will get the feeling that many of the things said at Medjugorje are a rip off. (Please note that I am not defending Garabandal, for that apparition certainly has many credibility problems). As a rule of thumb, it is always best to cherish the approved apparitions. If the beauty that can be found in apparitions is something you seek, then I would love to suggest that you learn about the Lourdes apparitions. You will learn of a true believer who had a very humble heart for God; you will learn of a true child of God who had a loving heart towards her Mother Mary. There is much beauty that glorifies God that can be found there in the story of Lourdes. And there is much beauty there that can light you up with a huge smile of joy and blessing. Always go to the approved apparitions (if apparitions are something that holds your attention). They will always be far more grander than those whose certainty is at the moment so unknown.

Blessings, and have a great day.

Thanks, that was interesting. I didn’t know that there were only three secrets in the beginning. These are the first apparitions that I have really read about.

Remember, Our Loving Father is not sending punishments due to His cruelty but due to OUR sins. We ourselves are to blame for what has become of our world.

That was very well put.

But we are suppose to forgive people without punishing them? I don’t mean in the sense of criminals. If my friend sins against me, I am suppose to forgive her without punishment. Remember the prodigal son?

If your friend breaks your window, you forgive her, but you may still ask her to pay for the window! :slight_smile: Now, maybe you’ll opt to take upon the debt of the broken window yourself, but the point is that forgiveness does not automatically exclude retribution.

Perhpas it would be good if you read what Msgr. Ratko Perić, Bishop of Mostar-Duvno, has to say about the alleged apparitions in his Diocese: cbismo.com/index.php?mod=vijest&vijest=101

I tend to think that the Blessed Mother would never, ever, ever condone disobedience of the Bishop.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.