Međugorje Visonary coming to my Church

Hi everyone,

Well, my preist announced that one of the Medugorje visionaries is coming to our Church. We are having a rosary, and they say the Blessed Mother is going to appear to him and give him a message. The whole parish is very blessed to have him come. What I’m wondering is what should I expect at a gathering like this?

-Jeanne

Say what?!!!:confused:

I would not attend. In fact I would try to find a different parish.

Dear Jeanne,
Don’t go. There is much disobedience to the two Bishops who have jurisdiction over Medjugorje. The current Bishop is Bishop Peric. If you “google” his name, you will find his declaration of the events going on there as well as the degree of the Conference of Yugoslavian Bishops. There have also been formal reprimands given to some of the Franciscans who were involved with this apparition. The fruit of Medjugorje appears to be a lot of disobedience and you know what that means!!!

I went to Medjugorje and only did my research after I came back. I would never have gone had I known…It is eerie and pretty frightening to me that despite the warnings given by the Bishops of Croatia, many of us here in America(obviously myself included,) don’t have any idea of this status of Medjugorje! I looked up the speaking schedule of this visionary, I am assuming you are talking about Ivan?, and it is packed!!! Stick to the approved apparitions! That was my lesson, learned.

God Bless You!
To Jesus, trhough Mary

I’ve been to Medjugorje and as JPII, you should judge by the fruit it bears. The fruit from Medjugorje is good. I’m not saying its perfect but it is the closest place I’ve ever seen that demonstrates how it is possible to live God’s word in your daily life.

I would expect the church to be very crowded. If it is Ivan, he will pray the Rosary and maybe sing some songs. He will tell about his experience and life since the start of the apparitions. I don’t know if Mother Mary will appear while he’s there…it depends on the time.

Mostly go with an open mind. John Paul, while he didn’t come out and approve it, spoke positively of it. As has Papa Bene!

I’m sorry, but I’m being forced to go with my confirmation class. I have no choice in the matter.

Write to your bishop immediately. Your pastor is committing a crime by forcing parishioners to be exposed to unapproved apparitions/revelations.

You HAVE a right to protest and you CAN refuse to go. NO ONE can force.

I would be happy to help you write the letter. PM your parish name and the state/province it is in, and I’ll e-mail your local bishop if he has an e-mail.

I think you missunderstood me. We are going as a class. Nobody is forcing us. If someone’s parents disapprove, they will not be able to go.

I’m going with an open mind. Sure, this may not be approved, but I’m still going to go and pray the rosary. There’s no crime in that, right?

Catholics are not allowed to go to unapproved revelations/apparitions. Catholics must wait for the Church’s judgement before getting into revelations/apparitions. This is to safeguard Catholics against possible demonic activity.

While I would be a little wary of attending, I don’t think people should overreact over this.

The apparitions haven’t been officially condemned by the Church as they are still ongoing. I recall that the Divine Mercy devotion was also banned for a time. Padre Pio was silenced by the Vatican. Our Lady of Laus took almost 400 years for approval.

While I may have some misgivings about Medjugorje myself, there has been no definite judgement by the Church.

If you want to read what the Church says about this go here:
ewtn.com
Up in the upper left hand corner hover over Faith, then hover over Catholic Q and A,
then on the right click on Faith FAQ’s, then at the bottom of that page click on
General Questions (not covered elsewhere), then click on
Mary: Various FAQs, then click on
Medjugorje

What the Church permits. As the already cited statements note, Catholics may go to Medjugorje. Such pilgrimages may even include priests acting as chaplains, as opposed to officially sponsoring them. Also, the Church has not suppressed discussion of Medjugorje, therefore, it is allowed. Common sense, however, says that Catholics on both sides of the Medjugorje issue should exercise prudence and charity in speaking of others who believe differently. Medjugorje is not a litmus test of orthodoxy, though every Catholic will have a moral obligation to accept the judgement of Rome, in the manner Pope Benedict explained, should it ever be rendered.

St. Augustine probably gave the simpliest and most helpful rule for all matters of the Church’s life when he said (in my paraphrase):

In necessary things unity,
in undecided things freedom,
and in all things charity.

ewtn.com/expert/answers/medjugorje.htm

I would be especially be alarmed at exposing children to this. What happens if/when this supposed apparition is declared a hoax by the church? This looks like the church is sanctioning this, these young people could loose faith. I would not go, I would in no way show approval of this. If you are in charge of the confirmation class I would give them information on what the bishops have said of this apparition and these “seers.” And I would contact then your diocese about this nonsense.

I’m sorry, but this is simply not true.

Yes, What about in the story of Bernadette when all of the people gathered around the grotto when she was having a vision of Mother Mary before the Vatican approved it. I don’t think all of those people were doing wrong.

-Jeanne

Do you have a Church document to prove this? Because I know of an expert in Canon Law who said Cathlics are not allowed to get into unapproved apparitions/private revelations. I found him on EWTN. If I can find him again, I’ll show you what he said in the Q&A section. Pray that I may find him again :slight_smile:

I just posted the answer of Colin B. Donovan, STL from EWTN several posts ago:

What the Church permits. As the already cited statements note, Catholics may go to Medjugorje. Such pilgrimages may even include priests acting as chaplains, as opposed to officially sponsoring them. Also, the Church has not suppressed discussion of Medjugorje, therefore, it is allowed. Common sense, however, says that Catholics on both sides of the Medjugorje issue should exercise prudence and charity in speaking of others who believe differently. Medjugorje is not a litmus test of orthodoxy, though every Catholic will have a moral obligation to accept the judgement of Rome, in the manner Pope Benedict explained, should it ever be rendered.

St. Augustine probably gave the simpliest and most helpful rule for all matters of the Church’s life when he said (in my paraphrase):

In necessary things unity,
in undecided things freedom,
and in all things charity.

ewtn.com/expert/answers/medjugorje.htm

I found it! This is a question I sent in to EWTN, about Medjugorje and obedience:

**Medjugorje - Ecclesiastical Obedience
Question from on 11-09-2006: **
Dear Fr. Gantley,
Is there anything in the Code of Canon Law that deals with the ecclesiastical obedience of visionaries to their local Bishop?

Thanks in advance. God bless.

Sign, Nick Childers

**Answer by Rev. Mark J. Gantley, JCL on 11-10-2006: **
Generally speaking, a diocesan bishop has authority to govern his diocese and must be obeyed, provided that he does not act contrary to any high law (e.g., from God, from the pope).
One should not believe in apparitions unless they first receive ecclesiastical approbation. This approval falls under the purview of the Congregation for the Doctrinal of the Faith. However, usually approval follows popular devotion. Nonetheless, if an apparition is condemned, then all of the faithful should immediately accept this conclusion and refrain from all activity related to the condemned apparition.

(source)

I also found a news story on Medjogurje, which you can read here: catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0603480.htm

Avoid this like the plague.
Local Bishops Commissions have already declared the visionaries as frauds.

Jeanne,

As someone who once read up on Medugorje and discussed it with pilgrims, I must say it is good that you are asking us about this event. Please avoid, as there is something “not quite right” about Medugorje.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.