Meet the Army's first female infantry officer

Capt. Kristen Griest, one of the first women to earn the Ranger tab, will again make history by becoming the US Army’s first female infantry officer.

Griest is expected to graduate from the Maneuver Captain’s Career Course on Thursday wearing the distinctive blue infantry cord, officials confirmed to Army Times.

“Like any other officer wishing to branch-transfer, Capt. Griest applied for an exception to Army policy to transfer from military police to infantry,” said Bob Purtiman, a spokesman for the Maneuver Center of Excellence and Fort Benning, Georgia. “Her transfer was approved by the Department of the Army [on Monday] and she’s now an infantry officer.”

More women are expected to follow in her footsteps; the Army earlier this month announced that it had approved requests from 22 female cadets to enter as second lieutenants in the infantry and armor branches. Thirteen of the new officers will enter into the armor branch, the other nine will go infantry. After commissioning, the new officers must successfully complete branch-specific training before they will qualify as infantry and armor officers.

Congratulations, Capt. Griest!

A woman’s place is in the home, cooking and cleaning, raising her children, and caring for her husband. She should not be in the military, nor work, nor vote, nor leave home without the American Express card. I just thought I’d present the ultra-conservative position so that others need not go to the trouble.

I also offer my congratulations.

I really don’t understand the mentality that would ignore several thousand years of military experience and history so that a few women can be substandard combat soldiers.

How do you know she is substandard?

Gotta love the Army. They’re always at the tip of the spear when it comes to social engineering. They allowed soldiers to wear rainbow color reflective belt in support of same-sex marriage in 2009.

Us, Navy squids, don’t need no stinky belt.

That should be self evident to anybody who understands the physiological differences between men and women.

The physiological difference applies to averages, not to individuals. The weakest man is not necessarily stronger than the strongest woman. That should be self evident to anybody who understands statistics.

The weakest man wouldn’t cut it in the infantry either.

But this woman did make the cut; so there you have it.

So the real question is, are there women who can meet the standards. That is something that is not self evident either way.

Did she make it using the standards applied to males, or are there separate standards for females?

From the article:

“An incremental and phased approach by leaders and soldiers who understand and enforce gender-neutral standards will ensure successful integration of women across the breadth and depth of our formations,” Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley previously said in a statement.

Geist met the same standards as the men.

I am in favour of any woman who wishes to put her life on the line to defend me. Good on her. The field of war is a terrible place, full of pain, death, killings and destruction of the innocent. I hope she finds great glory in her career and never has to enter that field. Given the reluctance of American leadership to use its military she has a good chance. The best of luck to her.

What makes you think women haven’t fought effectively in combat over the last several thousand years such as St. Joan of Arc just to use a very obvious example? :confused:

Haven’t done much research into this. Given they’re the same standards, are they the same standards as of ten years ago? That’s what most important to me.

I would guess that woman would beat you senseless in a fight. :smiley:

From what I’ve read the standards have not been changed from 2015 before the restrictions were lifted in December. So she’s made the grade as ably as any of the men. And she’s a trailblazer. 22 other women have now applied for the same.

The real question is, does allowing women into combat arms improve the military effectiveness of combat units.

Maybe, but then I’m old and out of shape. I doubt she’ll be running into too many fat guys in their 50s on the battlefield.

If the answer is yes, then there is no reason why women should not be in combat units.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.