Meeting my Sunday obligation

Practically every Sunday I work from 8:00am to 5:00pm, and Mass is usually 11:00am in my area.. so basically I can't attend on Sundays. However, can I go to Mass on another day, say Tuesday? And still meet my obligation to attend Mass? I am going to talk to my parish priest on Nov 25, but would like some advance knowledge and advice from you guys. I want to become a better Catholic and eventually join a religious order. :)

[quote="Kanuckistani, post:1, topic:345505"]
Practically every Sunday I work from 8:00am to 5:00pm, and Mass is usually 11:00am in my area..

[/quote]

Can you attend the Vigil Mass on Saturday evening?

Can you take your lunch break around Mass time, arriving a little late and leaving a little early?

Can you combine your morning and afternoon break with lunch break for a longer time to attend Mass at 11:00?

Have you asked you priest about Mass at another place in town; the university, hospital, monastery, convent, another parish?

Your best answer will come from your priest.

The only way to fulfill the Sunday obligation is to go to Mass anytime on Sunday or Afternoon on Saturday. Going to Mass on a weekday or before noon on Saturday would not fulfill the obligation. However going to weekday Mass is a great thing to do especially if you want to grow in your faith! Do your best to work something out with work if you can, mention to them that you would want Sundays off for religious reasons or if you can't get the full day off see if you can get an hour and half or so off work and go to the closest parish.

God Bless

You could go Saturday late afternoon or evening to meet your obligation.

check your Mass times in the area, some Churches do offer a late Sunday afternoon evenging Mass. If it is in reason, attend that if Sat, virgil Mass does not work for you. Likewise, speak to your priest. Be open to attend another parish if that will work out for you.

Before succumbing to too much guilt, talk to a priest. Your situation may warrant a dispensation. God's mercy, compassion, and understanding is boundless!

Also, bear in mind that if it is impossible for you to fulfill your obligation, then no obligation exists. The Church does not expect you to keep an obligation that is impossible for you to keep. If you are unsure as to whether that is the case here, by all means speak with the priest in your parish and ask.

-ACEGC

Practically every Sunday I work from 8:00am to 5:00pm, and Mass is usually 11:00am in my area.. so basically I can't attend on Sundays. However, can I go to Mass on another day, say Tuesday? And still meet my obligation to attend Mass? I am going to talk to my parish priest on Nov 25, but would like some advance knowledge and advice from you guys. I want to become a better Catholic and eventually join a religious order. :)

[/quote]

If it is impossible for you to go to mass, then you do not have an obligation to go to mass. I would encourage you to find long term employment would allow you to attend mass (a criteria certainly met if accepted by a religious order ;)).

Saturday afternoon Mass does not fulfill the Sunday obligation. Saturday EVENING does.

Can. 1248 §1 The obligation of assisting at Mass is satisfied wherever Mass is celebrated in a Catholic rite either on a Holy day itself or on the evening of the previous day.

[quote="thistle, post:9, topic:345505"]
Saturday afternoon Mass does not fulfill the Sunday obligation. Saturday EVENING does.

Can. 1248 §1 The obligation of assisting at Mass is satisfied wherever Mass is celebrated in a Catholic rite either on a Holy day itself or on the evening of the previous day.

[/quote]

The time is decided by the diocesan bishop. In my diocese that time starts at 4pm, which is commonly known as "afternoon" around here.

[quote="Elizium23, post:10, topic:345505"]
The time is decided by the diocesan bishop. In my diocese that time starts at 4pm, which is commonly known as "afternoon" around here.

[/quote]

The Latin is vespere, which is translated as evening, but it is more closely tied with the Liturgy of the Hours. 4pm and after seems to be the accepted time by the bishops.

[/quote]

Like many posters have stated - if it is impossible to get to Mass then you have fulfilled your obligation .... and you should seek other opportunities for Masses in your area ...

Truly - it would be rare in America * for you not to have a Vigil Mass opportunity on Saturday which would meet your obligation ...

You did not identify the size of your town - but eve rural small towns with catholic parishes usually have a Saturday Vigil Mass and at least one Sunday Mass time ... larger cities have more then one parish ....

In Portland Oregon and the surrounding cities - the opportunities to attend Mass range from 4:00 PM on Saturday until 9:00 PM on Sunday evening .... and while you might have to drive 10 to 25 miles to attend that neighboring parish - the opportunity is there to participate in the Mass and gain the graces and sustenance that builds and fortifies us for the week ahead - it is well worth the effort.

As one poster noted - Masses are not just held Churches - but other places like hospitals, chapels, monasteries, etc

Good luck and pray for vocations - more priests equals more Masses*

[quote="ProVobis, post:11, topic:345505"]
The Latin is vespere, which is translated as evening, but it is more closely tied with the Liturgy of the Hours. 4pm and after seems to be the accepted time by the bishops.

[/quote]

Yes - once again, not a great idea to rely on fallible vernacular translations of Latin Church documents for authoritative information.

[quote="Elizium23, post:13, topic:345505"]
Yes - once again, not a great idea to rely on fallible vernacular translations of Latin Church documents for authoritative information.

[/quote]

Of course. :)

[quote="Elizium23, post:10, topic:345505"]

[/quote]

During Eastern Standard Time in the winter, 4 pm is evening! ;)

See this answer by Michelle Arnold regarding if an early afternoon Saturday nuptial Mass would fulfill the Sunday obligation. Depending on how you interpret evening it can be interpreted to mean noon or after. However, the Bishops usually put a 4 or 5 p.m. regulation as to when a vigil Mass can be celebrated. In my opinion 4 p.m. and later would seem most appropriate but canon law does not specify.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=20461

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.