mega chuches

Could anyone give me information on mega churches also known as seeker churches? I know they are like new age churches, I would like to find out more on them.

Thanks,
God Bless

A lot of them are non-denominational. (i.e.- Lakewood Church in TX, Pastor Joel Osteen; The Potter’s House also in TX; Bishop T.D. Jakes). Broadcasts from those churches are on TV. They are big churches. Lots of people attend the services.

Theoligically and spiritually one mile wide and one inch deep.

IMHO and from what I have seen (I strayed from Holy Mother Church for a time) they run high on emotion and short on truth. Their teachings tend to allow the followers do as they please with no “fear” of punishment. It is the “once saved always saved no matter what” just make me feel good about me group. They also tend to loose momentum when the “founding preacher” dies or moves on.

wow. here’s how you know you are taking something too seriously. I saw cubsfan’s comment against Mega churches, and had the sudden urge to make a snide remark about cubs fans… and i live in chicago…
all that aside, i believe these churches are called “seeker churches” because that is what their sunday services are about. They are formatted so they can apply to people walking into the church for the first time, “seeking” God.
It basically works under the philosophy that you will really only get new people to come to one service or event, and most likely of the sunday morning variety. why not focus on them while they are there. So i suppose they could seem shallow because of this. maybe not. In any case, these churches usually try to offer a message that is graspable by everyone on sunday, and then offer other programs at other times during the week. The advantage of being so big is the same advantage of anything that’s big. If you have an obscure problem or issue, chances are there’s at least ten other people who can help you out.
In order to counter the “big church feel” negative aspects, like feeling you don’t know anybody, they meet in smaller groups outside of the sunday deal. You can get intimate with a smaller group of people to support each other.
These facilities are typically very nice, like childcare, christian bookstores or coffee shops on campus. These things serve two purposes. First, it removes that “churchy” feel that some people have come to fear. I’m sure some Catholic churches have this problem too, people see a robe on the priest and a pew, and already they feel too alien to come back. Second, you lots of these things serve purposes, like a bookstore where you can easily find materials for most anything, and special table set aside with materials relating to this week’s message, or a coffe shop where you can sit comfortably with a new christian friend.

Yes, some of these churches have no theological base, or are all about the money, but not all of them. And it really hurts that people assume all of them are as bad as the worst one.(It’s almost like saying all catholic priests molest children… we know that’s not true, but some people think so.) Look up Willow Creek if you want a good one.

[quote=lovey2008]A lot of them are non-denominational. (i.e.- Lakewood Church in TX, Pastor Joel Osteen; The Potter’s House also in TX; Bishop T.D. Jakes). Broadcasts from those churches are on TV. They are big churches. Lots of people attend the services.
[/quote]

I saw an interview of Joel Osteen and I found something very interesting. He will not preach against “hard issues” such as abortion or divorce. He seemed to indicate a reluctance to really push the harder issues and instead wanted to appeal to alot of people.

I had a co-worker who prescribed to the “feel-good” version of Christianity and felt that once he accepted Jesus, he was free to do what he wanted. He felt so assured of his salvation that moral laws weren’t really applicable. He did reach a point, though, where he wanted to recommit to Jesus, and wanted to go find a minister to be re-baptized.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.