Megachurch pastor Rick Warren addresses US Muslims

This seems a step in the right direction. :slight_smile:

[quote=Associated Press]Defying some of his fellow conservative Christian critics, one of the most prominent religious leaders in the country told several thousand American Muslims on Saturday that “the two largest faiths on the planet” must work together to combat stereotypes and solve global problems.

“Some problems are so big you have to team tackle them,” evangelical megachurch pastor Rick Warren addressed the annual convention of the Islamic Society of North America.

Warren said Muslims and Christians should be partners in working to end what he calls “the five global giants” of war, poverty, corruption, disease and illiteracy.
[/quote]

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090705/ap_on_re_us/us_islam_evangelical_pastor;_ylt=Ah3KVMGtYdohmUapVVfPze07Xs8F;_ylu=X3oDMTMxdjRxMDYwBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkwNzA1L3VzX2lzbGFtX2V2YW5nZWxpY2FsX3Bhc3RvcgRwb3MDNQRzZWMDeW5fcGFnaW5hdGVfc3VtbWFyeV9saXN0BHNsawNtZWdhY2h1cmNocGE-

[quote=Christian Post]“I will tell you that I am not interested in interfaith dialogue. I am interested in interfaith project. There is a big difference,” said Warren to attendees of the 46th annual Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) convention Saturday evening.
[/quote]

[quote=Christian Post]He also gave a practical example of how Muslims and Christians can work together by pointing to his PEACE plan, a massive effort to mobilize one billion Christians to combat the five biggest problems in the world – spiritual emptiness, corrupt leadership, extreme poverty, pandemic diseases, and illiteracy and lack of education.

In a western province in Rwanda, the PEACE plan has been implemented where imams and pastors are invited to attend healthcare training sessions. Those religious leader in turn help mobilize their congregants to also receive healthcare training. By the end of this year, Warren said, a province where there was only one doctor for 750,000 people will have over 1,500 trained healthcare workers.
[/quote]

christianpost.com/article/20090705/rick-warren-to-muslims-talk-is-cheap-let-s-work-together/index.html

We are all human beings created by God and we need to learn how to co-exist in peace otherwise the world will be doomed to fail. More reasons to pray.

If this were Obama, people would be saying he’s cavorting with terrorists.:smiley:

Strange group to partner with, at face value. While the Islamic world is sizeable, I was not aware that they had much of a track record in combating “the five global giants” of war, poverty, corruption, disease and illiteracy. In certain parts of the world, one might argue that they actually contribute to some of these “giants”.

As much as I respect Rick Warren, I’m not sure this won’t end up being just dialogue.

-Tim

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.