Meghalaya, India: Where women rule, and men are suffragettes

In the small hilly Indian state of Meghalaya, a matrilineal system operates with property names and wealth passing from mother to daughter rather than father to son - but some men are campaigning for change.

bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16592633

“Matriliny breeds a culture of men who feel useless.”

Seems to be a universal effect of radical feminisim.

Whereas the universal effect of a patriarchal system is…? Radical feminism. :wink:

Also, this has nothing to do with the boo hiss evil feminism as this is a centuries-old tradition.

Correct, it’s about emasculating men.

Women are violent. Best to avoid their wrath.

I don’t think its purposely there to “emasculate” men, it’s just a different system to the usual patriarchal culture of men being on top.

I actually prefer women to men. But out of loyalty to my persecuted Indian brothers I will side with them and burn a picture of Margaret Thatcher.

Persecuted? :confused: Margaret Thatcher? :confused:

Quoting from the BBC article

Mary goes on: “Most men in our village leave school early to help their fathers in the fields. This is a great detriment to their education.”

This situation exists in a large part of the world, although with the genders reversed. Often it is girls who are pulled from schools to help out at home.

I think being deprived of education, due to traditional gender norms, is a terrible thing. It sacrifices the child’s future, weakens the country’s economy and sustains a system of gender power imbalance.

The novelty of the the situation described in the BBC article shouldn’t blind us to the larger issues of equality. But perhaps the novelty will awaken our awareness of the situation in the rest of the world. If you feel angry or annoyed about the situation of men and boys in Meghalaya, I hope you will feel the same about the situation facing women and girls in much of Africa and Asia.

Hah! look at the atrocities performed so brutally right here in America!! It is called - get ready for it- Cricumcision!!

Let me see a feminist top** that** one!!

Methinks financial recompense is due the Males of America by the female dominated care giver profession! Heh heh heh…

Fascinating!

I remember seeing on the news about a society in Yunnan province in China which was like this. Women are the leaders, they can take lovers, and husbands and wives don’t live with each other (children are raised in the mother’s household).

It’s interesting to note how in many cultures, the situation with babies is reversed–they cheer for a boy and cry if it’s a girl.

I don’t really understand where the radical feminism comments are coming from, these aren’t young societies by any means.

Female circumcision. Look it up. Happens in the US too.

Methinks financial recompense is due the Males of America by the female dominated care giver profession! Heh heh heh…

Nursing is dominated by women. Doctors, who do these procedures, are dominated by men.

Sure, men in India are persecuted by Women. Thatcher is a perfect example of a woman who dominates men. I will be siding with my brothers. I don’t wear a bra, so can’t burn that, hence MT. I guess I could burn a barbecue or a TV set but my commitment to equal rights is not that expensive.

In this one small area of Indian women dominate. But how are they persecuted that’s a very strong word.

Thatcher is a perfect example of a woman who dominates men.

Why, was she sexist against men? What’s wrong with a woman in charge of the country if that’s how you define a woman who dominates men?

It’s still oppression and my homies in India will know I support them. Will I travel to Indian and demonstrate there? No ways. I’m not crazy. I’ll do it here. And rail against their oppression on YouTube but use a synthetic voice of Microsoft Sam.

Why, was she sexist against men? What’s wrong with a woman in charge of the country if that’s how you define a woman who dominates men?

Well she dominated all those poor ministers and MPs who were mostly male. Iron Lady and all that. Equality of sexes, man.

Will you rail against the oppresion of women in India?

Well she dominated all those poor ministers and MPs who were mostly male. Iron Lady and all that. Equality of sexes, man.

So basically, you’re saying you object to a female leader purely because she is a woman and she’s in charge of men.

My previous job involved me being a supervisor and being in charge of male colleagues. Is that me “dominating” them?

Well, at least we know you’re definately sexist.

Lime, I could be wrong but I think Tenofovir is being sarcastic. :smiley:

going to try to equate the frequency of the two - seriously- now are you.:rolleyes:

I wasn’t aware that male circumcision was comparable in terms of pain, disfigurement, consent issues and impact on sexual enjoyment.
[/quote]

Knowing him, I don’t think so. Perhaps trolling, but he has posted similarly contraversial opinions before on other threads.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.